Human body subject of latest Lansing Art Gallery exhibit

Several of Marnie Fender's works, including the one shown above, are currently on exhibit at Lansing Art Gallery, 113 S. Washington Square. —

The realistic and raw images of the human form are the highlight at the Lansing Art Gallery this month.

These drawings are showcased by artist Marnie Fender, who is presenting "Figurative Works on Paper" in the main gallery through Dec. 30.

Fender's work shows the human body in a very natural form. Many of her charcoal-based drawings are nude works that do not idealize the body, but instead show it in a lifelike way.

She does not romanticize the imperfections of the body. Her drawings include all the lumps and bumps that almost every person has.

But Fender's drawings make these imperfections beautiful. The women and men shown are not graphic nor ugly. Instead, they seem to command a sense of unrefined beauty inherent in each person.

This is especially shown in the drawing called "Beauty." In it, a woman sits with her back to the viewer. The physical curves of her body are not softened. However, her posture combined with loosely drawn lines and smudges make this woman stand out with a strong presence and appeal.

Fender said she also enjoys drawing portraits, which are also included in the exhibit. She especially likes those in which the sitter stares directly at the artist.

"I think there's a lot of power and continence in someone's face," Fender said.

She said even when she sits and draws a person's face for an hour without talking, she still learns a lot about them.

"You still pull a lot of emotion and feeling from that person," she said.

The composition of many of Fender's works is also a testament to her talent. In a charcoal drawing called "Mothers Love," a woman is shown sleeping next to her child. The woman's arms and head form a circle around the slumbering child and a loosely drawn circular shape further encompasses the two.

There is a sense of motion in the piece as it moves your eye around the mother-and-child pair. At the same time, the viewer can see the unity and love between the two.

Fender said she began seriously drawing four years ago when she took a basic drawing class. In it she learned she enjoyed using charcoal as a medium and drawing the human form.

"I've always had a fascination in the human body," Fender said.

In the mezzanine of the Lansing Art Gallery, award winners of the 2005 Mid-Michigan ADDY Competition are also presented.

The ADDY competition is awarded by the American Advertising Federation to artists, designers, printers, photographers, producers and writers for their contributions to original advertising.

Some of the works presented range from humorous radio clips for a chili-eating event to coffee tumblers for Beaner's Gourmet Coffee.

Michael Davis, an MSU student, is included in the exhibit for his design of the "Three Little Pigs Poster" for Wharton Center.

This exhibit is a wonderful opportunity to get creative inspiration for design projects or just to see the work by people from Mid-Michigan.

Since the two exhibits are quite different, there is more of a variety for art lovers to enjoy. But like always, the gallery is showing only high quality artwork.

Share and discuss “Human body subject of latest Lansing Art Gallery exhibit” on social media.