Don't miss out on last Sunday Gallery Walk before year's end

Jacqueline WayneGuite —

Stress of finals creeping up? Feeling a little culturally deprived lately? Just have that antsy, gotta-get-out-of-the-dorm feeling? If you've never been on the First Sunday Gallery Walk, you have to try it out this Sunday for any of those reasons and more.

The First Sunday Gallery Walk is held every first Sunday of the month. Many Lansing-area participate and hold receptions for new or current exhibits.

There are some First Sundays when the galleries are packed with people. Other times, the crowds are a little more sparse. But never knowing exactly what you are going to encounter is part of the joy and surprise of visiting the galleries.

When I found out about First Sunday, I was amazed at how much fun it was. It's a great time to go with your friends and discover the cool artwork around town. A few galleries have really thought-provoking or provocative artwork; others are more refined and showcase works of one or two fine artists. Still, some are a hodgepodge of paintings, sculpture and more.

Whatever type of art suits your fancy, you'll be able to find it at one of the local galleries — and if something doesn't strike you as impressive, simply move along.

Usually the galleries are showcasing new exhibits, so you'll be one of the first to see them. It's really exciting because you never know how successful these artists will become one day.

Another advantage of the First Sunday Gallery Walks is meeting new people. You're bound to find some really interesting people as you mingle in the crowd and learn a lot just from talking about art or whatever topic you happen to end on.

Don't be afraid to go alone if your friends are flaking out on you. I've had a fabulous time on multiple occasions just socializing with another person looking at the same piece of art as I am.

Oftentimes the artists that have works on display are at the exhibits as well. You can meet them and ask them any questions you may have about their works. The artists are normally very friendly and open to discussing different topics on art, politics or even philosophic theories.

And last, but not least, many galleries have treats. Cheese, crackers, cookies and veggies are often served along with juice and wine. Don't be greedy, but indulge a little. What could be better than sipping a little wine while looking at the most happening artwork right in your own neighborhood?

Jacqueline WayneGuite is the arts reporter. Reach her at waynegui@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Don't miss out on last Sunday Gallery Walk before year's end” on social media.