Urban Dreams produces first hair, fashion show

Communication senior Tyeisha Dalton, left, and then-interdisciplinary humanities senior Kandace Flanagan practice with Urban Dreams in September 2004 at IM Sports-Circle. The dance troupe is putting on its first hair and fashion show Wednesday at Fairchild Theatre. —

Campus dance team Urban Dreams is putting on its first annual hair and fashion show at 7 p.m. Wednesday. The show is meant to showcase area clothing stores and hair stylists. It will have an Urban Dreams twist, featuring more dancing than on a runway, coordinators said.

"We wanted to incorporate the community around us," said Tyeisha Dalton, a communication senior who is performing in the show and coordinating the runway scenes.

"I know a lot of people might not know about places around us to shop," she added.

Thirteen acts will showcase trends from clothing stores in the Lansing area and Detroit. They include Caché and Wet Seal from the Meridian Mall, Studio Couture from Southfield and Fashion Cafe from Detroit.

All hairstyles will be done by Fabulous Hair and Nails of Detroit.

"As of now, we're wrapping up our practices and tightening up things, making sure everybody has everything they need for the show to be under way," Dalton said.

"It's a little hectic right now. We're just hoping for the best turnout possible."

Dalton said the most hectic part of the show was coordinating the clothing stores, because of the holiday shopping season.

The show is a fundraiser for the performance group, and if members raise enough money, some of the funds will go to sponsor a family during the holiday season.

"We wanted to do something different — get into various different fundraising activities for our organization," said Terika Westbrook, food industry management senior, who's performing in the show and is coordinating clothing for the show.

Tickets are $2 each. About $1,000 from business and personal advertisement has been raised so far, Westbrook said.

"We're so ready, we've been working for three months trying to get everything together," Westbrook said. "We're all feeling pretty confident."

Share and discuss “Urban Dreams produces first hair, fashion show” on social media.