(SCENE) exhibit brings circus, carnival to life

Lansing Community College clothing design student Berry Noxon talks with a friend about a series of photographs by New Jersey-based photographer Melanie Heinrich at (SCENE) Metrospace on Friday, as part of the opening night of the gallery's "Cir·cus/Car·ni·val" exhibit. Noxon said she loved the bright colors in Heinrich's images of carnival workers. —

A visit to (SCENE) Metrospace could trigger patrons' childhood memories of a circus or carnival, complete with a cotton candy machine, dangling balloons and fanciful music.

"Cir·cus/Car·ni·val" opened Friday at the gallery, 303 Abbott Road, to a full crowd of eager art lovers and will run through Jan. 8, 2006.

Around the gallery, 12 artists had artwork based on circus and carnival themes displayed. Other elements, such as face painting, the music of the band Calliope and artists in costumes, added to the atmosphere.

Ann Arbor artist Amanda Miller showcased nine paintings in the exhibit she originally created for completion of a master's degree in painting from Eastern Michigan University.

"I was exploring the idea that these people were almost put in a zoo — on display for people to enjoy," Miller said.

Some of her paintings highlight the playful side of the circus, she said, while others show a sadder side, such as the story of the bearded lady.

"She's kind of like a wild animal," Miller said.

(SCENE) Metrospace coordinator and curator Emma Kruch said Miller's work was one of the inspirations for the new exhibit.

"I'm really intrigued by the backstage of the carnival," she said. "During this exhibit, it's all fun and games."

Other artists at the exhibit echoed the sentiments that art doesn't always need to be serious. Artist Carl Oxley said his work is "happy pop art," which is different from very solemn and sophisticated artwork.

"It's also just as important to be fun to look at," he said.

For a more meaningful look at the lives of carnival workers, Melanie Heinrich's photography opened up that world to the viewers at the exhibit. Her family has a history working in the food segment of the carnival.

"I'm an insider, so I give you privilege to that world," Heinrich said.

She describes her photography as personal and intimate portraits of carnival workers and other images from behind the scenes.

"There's a lot of movement and color which is very descriptive of the carnival itself," Heinrich said.

(SCENE) Metrospace is open 6-9 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, and 1-4 p.m. Sundays during scheduled exhibits. For more information, contact Kruch at (517) 319-6832.

Share and discuss “(SCENE) exhibit brings circus, carnival to life” on social media.