Women's squad has high expectations for 2005 season

Team adds 8 new recruits for season

Members of the MSU women's soccer team said their new season will be spent kicking it up a notch on the field and exceeding expectations.

New faces and new strategies will be the prevailing themes for the team this season. The Spartans have added eight new freshmen recruits this fall to its squad which consists of five seniors, four juniors and 12 sophomores.

The team closed a 12-8-1 season in 2004.

Sophomore forward Breana Ballard said the team lost a lot of seniors and experienced players last year, but she is looking forward to the new team dynamic that will emerge from the new class of athletes for the fall.

"We had a really great season last year, but we can do better," she said.

Ballard said she's eager to see how well the young recruits and seasoned players mesh on the field.

"This year is going to be a learning experience for everyone," Ballard said. "We have some really good recruits coming, and I'm excited to see how the season is going to go."

Danielle Petri, a freshman goalkeeper, said it's always been her dream to play Division 1 soccer, and she's honored to play for MSU.

"It's so exciting to go out there and do what I've always wanted to do," the Notre Dame Prep High School graduate said.

She said she plans to work hard this season and show that, even as a freshman, she can contribute a lot to the team.

"I'm nervous and excited, but I just want to go out there and show them that I can play at this level," she said.

Head coach Tom Saxton could not be reached for comment at the time of publication but said in a written statement that the new recruits will offer a lot to the team.

"We (are) very happy to have a great group of freshmen eager to come in and contribute to our program in the fall," Saxton said.

"Our staff feels that this recruiting class will provide great depth for us and have productive careers at Michigan State over the next four years."

Sophomore goalkeeper Nicole Galas said people often don't expect as much from a young team as one consisting of seasoned veterans. But the Spartans, she said, are looking forward to kicking that expectation to the curb.

"We're going to surprise a lot of people," Galas said. "People are going to be shocked at how good we are."

The women's soccer team plays their second game of the season on the road at Kentucky on Aug. 26.

Share and discuss “Women's squad has high expectations for 2005 season” on social media.