WEB ONLY: Multicultural Xtravaganza features poetry, song

The fifth-annual Multicultural Xtravaganza, was presented by the Zeta Sigma Chi Multicultural Sorority Inc., to a packed audience at Fairchild Theatre on Saturday night.

From Spanish songs and spoken poetry to Irish, Bhangra, belly and hip-hop dancing, 15 performers took the stage to share either traditional or contemporary aspects of their culture.

The show is presented each year to showcase the diversity among different campus groups and organizations, and to show how different cultures can be fused through artistic modes of expression, said members of Zeta Sigma Chi.

Members from Dance 2XS, a hip-hop dance group hailing from the University of Michigan, said performing is not only a way to showcase their own moves, but to learn how to incorporate different cultural dance moves into their act.

"Our team promotes multi-cultural awareness on campus and this gives us an opportunity to experience a lot of different dance and art forms," said dance member Chad Jones, a senior from U-M.

Francisco Velazquez, and other four other members from the MSU Latino-based Omega Delta Phi fraternity, performed a Latino-infused step show for the crowd.

"Step is something that a lot of Latino fraternities have been doing," Velazquez said of the group's act. "We wanted to do something fun and I think that we did."

Share and discuss “WEB ONLY: Multicultural Xtravaganza features poetry, song” on social media.