Coach: team playing 'best ball' now

Then-junior shortstop Janette Hurtado watches a bad pitch go by home plate against Wisconsin in April 2004 at Old College Field. Games today and Saturday were cancelled, so the Spartans next travel to Valparaiso on Thursday. —

After finishing up an extended road trip with a loss to No. 12 Texas A&M, the MSU softball team prepares to take on Valparaiso on Thursday.

The Spartans started the season with 24 straight games on the road, but the strenuous schedule hasn't affected their play, said junior catcher Amy Szawara.

"We train all year, so staying intense isn't hard for us," she said.

Last year's star pitcher Jessica Beech graduated in 2004, leaving a gap in the pitching rotation. Freshmen pitchers Abby Lincoln and Lesley Noel, along with sophomores Christy McGrew and Rachel Turney, complete a young pitching staff.

"We have young pitching developing," MSU head coach Jacquie Joseph said. "We need our freshmen to step up, but we want to continue to develop."

Beech returned in her first year as the Spartans' undergraduate assistant coach and has played a valuable role to the team.

"(Beech) being back has been very positive," Joseph said. "She is able to translate my language into their language and that's invaluable. We're fortunate to have kept her here."

The Spartans got off to a rocky start with one win, seven losses and two canceled games in the first 10 games of the season. MSU is trying to stay focused in its game plan and work on specifics.

"Our defense is pretty well, but our offense has to step up," Szawara said.

The Spartans' loss to the Aggies was not the way they wanted to finish their 24-game road trip, but they aren't worried about future games.

Improvements have been evident as the Spartans have progressed in practice, Joseph said.

"We're playing our best ball right now," she said. "We started out awful, but we continue to get better. There's no change (for the next game). We'll just keep doing what we're doing."

MSU was scheduled to play its home opener against Central Michigan, but the game has been rescheduled for 4 p.m. April 13 at Old College Field because of poor field conditions. Saturday's home doubleheader also has been rescheduled. The Spartans will take on Loyola-Chicago at 3 p.m. April 5.

With such a long time frame between games, the Spartans are itching to play.

"I'm mostly worried about how it affects me," Joseph said, grinning. "I get crabby. I'm disappointed, but that's life in Michigan."

Waiting to play outside bothers MSU players, but senior outfielder Victoria Morache said it's worth the wait.

"I get really excited playing outside," Morache said.

Thursday poses yet another road game for the Spartans, as they head to Indiana to take on the Crusaders. April will bring the home opener against Loyola-Chicago. As this is Morache's last year, she's ready to play on home fields.

"We'll have our own fans come to watch us," she said. "I'm really excited to finally be able to play at home."

Share and discuss “Coach: team playing 'best ball' now” on social media.