Friday, September 27, 2024

Olin offers class on importance of health

About 25 students ranging from human biology to computer science majors, gathered at Olin Health Center to learn about the Health Advocates on Thursday night.

"It sounds really interesting and it's so good what they do. You want to participate," said Anne Buffington, a dietetics junior.

The 20-year-old-program, offered by Olin Health Center Education Services is a one-credit-independent study recommended for students interested in issues of sexuality, nutrition and fitness.

Deena Ismail, a physiology senior, said the program provides direction for the future.

"It helped me realize med school is not for me, but opened up new opportunities in fields I may not have thought of before," said Ismail, a two-year member of Health Advocates.

During the spring, students train for 16 weeks in a class with multiple instructors.

Health Education Services Coordinator Dennis Martell said the experience is unique because students are taught by MSU officials and community experts.

The main focus of Health Advocates is introducing students to what health really is and why it is important. The program does this through campuswide projects and programs in residence halls.

"It's a concept most people don't understand - they have obscure ideas about what is and is not healthy and we help them understand" Martell said.

Health is not simply eating three meals a day and working out several days a week, Martell said, but a healthy lifestyle also includes a positive body image.

The overarching goal of the group is to improve the academic and social success of students.

The class was not offered last spring because of the intensive time commitment required for faculty.

About 100 students have expressed an interest in the program, but Martell said only 30-35 will be admitted on a first come, first served basis.

During the spring class, students choose a field to specialize in. Past areas of study have included healthy sexuality, fitness and nutrition and community action and policy.

Due to recent information from students, participants and other schools, Martell said they are considering dropping one of the current sections and filling the spot with a new media advocacy program, which would involve learning how to use technological advancements to communicate about health.

Halfway through the semester, students choose a specific field in the program to specialize in. If they return in the fall for a service year, during which they help with advocacy programs, participants will continue in this area.

Ismail said the program gives participants room to create their own projects such a the cold and flu packs distributed around campus every year.

Ronda Bokram, a nutritionist in Health Education Services, said the peer education program is an asset to communicate with students.

"(Students) might be more open to talking with a student because they're closer in age," she said. "When we teach people to do interactive education they might sit on a floor during a discussion but it's still professional."

Share and discuss “Olin offers class on importance of health” on social media.