Friday, September 27, 2024

ASMSU to discuss tailgating in forum

ASMSU leaders are urging students to show up and make recommendations for safe tailgating at town hall meetings next week.

MSU's undergraduate student government will answer questions concerning recent tailgating restrictions at 7 p.m. Monday at the Wonders Hall Kiva and 7 p.m. Wednesday at the McDonel Hall Kiva.

Olin Health Center officials, Secretary of the MSU Board of Trustees Sue Carter and Trustee Colleen McNamara have been invited to sit on a panel to address students' questions and concerns.

Andrew Bell, Student Assembly external vice chairperson, said he is concerned the student body hasn't been properly represented in past tailgating decisions.

"This is a chance to get what we should have had before we made laws," he said.

University officials and student leaders decided Monday on two resolutions to make tailgating more safe - limit drinking games and establish time limits of five hours before and two hours after the next two home football games.

Bell said at Monday's meeting the administration didn't take ASMSU's concerns into consideration when they banned drinking games.

"I wanted more meetings with students," he said. "They blew us off - this is a chance to get what we should have had before we made laws."

Bell said he expects Monday's town hall meeting to concentrate on the ban on drinking games and how university officials came to the decisions.

"We know when we felt the decision to look at drinking games was right, and they completely disregarded it," he said.

ASMSU suggested looking at long-term policies after the current football season.

Short-term solutions ASMSU has for this season include a ban on glass containers, designated emergency routes and an increase in portable toilets, garbage cans, emergency personnel and water and food vending.

McNamara said she wants tailgating decisions to reflect concerns of both the administration and students.

"I'm trying to find a balance between assuring people are safe and not doing something so drastic that it causes tremendous unrest," she said.

"We want to do things that make sense."

Although the recent resolutions have been called a pilot program, Andrew Schepers, Student Assembly chairperson and town hall meeting moderator, said they could turn into policy at any time.

"We hope that university officials will continue in dialogue with us," he said. "But sometimes that goes by the wayside."

ASMSU leaders have asked students to direct tailgating questions or concerns to their official tailgate e-mail, tailgate@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “ASMSU to discuss tailgating in forum” on social media.