Friday, September 27, 2024

'U' sells flu shots to county

Olin continues to supply hundreds of immunizations

The MSU University Physician's Office sold flu vaccines to the Ingham County Health Department, but there are still vaccines available at Olin Health Center.

The Ingham County Health Department received almost 45 percent of the expected vaccine supply due to the suspended licenses of Chiron Corp., an influenza vaccine provider. In light of the shortage, the physician's office provided 800 vaccine doses to the county.

The physician's office originally had 1,500 doses of the influenza vaccine, said Tom Oswald, a university spokesman.

"We received the vaccines because they felt they had covered their high-risk patients and could expend their doses so we could continue doing high-risk vaccinations throughout the department," said Judy Williams, Ingham County Health Department's disease-control supervisor.

In light of the flu shortage, MSU and state health departments are asking healthy people to forgo the vaccine to allow the young, elderly or people with chronic illness to receive the shots.

Oswald said the transaction between the university and county is a continuation of the joint efforts between the physician's office and the health department.

The department was originally missing 6,000 doses, but has obtained 2,140 extra doses from private physicians, other county health departments and MSU. Despite the transactions, Ingham county is still short about 4,000 doses.

Williams was unsure of the exact amount Ingham County will pay the physician's office for the vaccines, but said individual doses usually are sold for $8.50. The department is purchasing the doses from area providers with the extra money set aside from the original flu vaccination order which was not delivered in full.

Kathi Braunlich, an Olin Health Center spokeswoman, said several hundred vaccines remain in the immunization clinic, about half of the original supply.

"We have plenty of vaccines for students, faculty and staff who are in the high-risk groups and we encourage them to come in as soon as possible," Braunlich said.

The Ingham County Health Department will also provide flu vaccines for members of the MSU community who are categorized as high risk.

Braunlich said the health department has not requested Olin to provide vaccines for the county.

Share and discuss “'U' sells flu shots to county” on social media.