Senior bests 'U' record for strikeouts

Senior pitcher Bryan Gale became MSU’s all-time strike-out leader Friday during a Spartans win against Iowa at Kobs Field. —

Bryan Gale jogged out to the mound, reached down and picked up the rosin bag, adjusted his pants, fixed his cap and stared toward home plate.

It was time.

In the top of the fourth inning against Iowa on Friday, the senior right-hander was one strikeout away from setting the all-time MSU mark for Ks.

"You try not to think of it, but in a way, it's kind of in the back of your mind," Gale admitted after the game. "You keep a tally of it. I think I had a little more adrenaline today than I have in the past."

Gale had dominated Hawkeye hitters all day, striking out six batters in the first three innings. As Iowa infielder Andy Cox - who had fanned in the first inning - stepped in to lead off the top of the fourth, Gale began where he left off the inning before.

The first pitch following a high leg kick was fouled back. The second fouled down the first base line. After another foul ball and a pitch in the dirt Gale was hoping Cox would chase, the "K-time" chants echoed about Kobs Field.

A change-up low and in the dirt fooled Cox, and Gale displayed a quick and hard-to-notice fist pump on the mound. The record was his.

"I'm not amazed because I've seen him do it for four years," MSU manager Ted Mahan said. "It's a shame he didn't get a win, but Bryan doesn't care because we got a win. I knew he would be a good pitcher. There's no way I envisioned him being this good."

Gale, a 6-foot-4 sidearm pitcher who throws in the mid-80s, is very blunt. He doesn't care about individual records.

Despite throwing arguably his best game ever - a scoreless 9-inning masterpiece where he struck out a career-high 12 batters while scattering five hits - he wasn't even minutely upset for not getting a victory.

Only one result would have angered him - a loss.

"It wouldn't have been devastating to me, but more devastating as a team," said Gale, who threw 120 pitches on the afternoon and dropped his ERA to 2.36.

After recording the second out in the ninth inning, Gale became MSU's all-time innings-pitched king, with 301 total innings.

Junior catcher Erik Morris, who caught the entire game, said Gale's performance was one of the best he's seen.

"It's unbelievable the confidence he had the whole game," Morris said. "There is no one else we want on the mound in game one of a Big Ten series. "He's good, what can I say, he's good."

Senior first baseman Scott Koerber, who has been awed by Gale's pitching for four seasons, echoed Morris' thoughts.

"I've seen him throw numerous games, but this one will stand out," Koerber said. "It's definitely a team deal, but it's also his excellence performed out there on the mound. It's really a tribute to him for what he accomplished for us."

For Gale, a prosperous senior year will turn the heads of Major League Baseball scouts. And along with his consistent dominance on the mound, Mahan felt greatness in professional baseball isn't far away.

"I think he can play pro ball," Mahan said. "How far...I don't know. There is no question people like him, especially against right-handers. They are hitting .200 against him. There is a place for somebody like him. Somebody will give him a chance, and he'll prove them right."

Share and discuss “Senior bests 'U' record for strikeouts” on social media.