'U' readies for 4-game weekend

The MSU softball team is at a critical stage in its Big Ten season as it travels to Ohio State and Penn State for four games this weekend.

"We're 3-5 in the Big Ten and we're going to play two teams that are right about where we're at, with Penn State being a little down in compared to Ohio State," head coach Jacquie Joseph said. "However, both teams we think we match up well against. It's a big, important weekend."

The Spartans (23-16 overall, 3-5 Big Ten) will play single games on Friday and Saturday in Columbus, Ohio, and a doubleheader on Sunday in State College, Pa. The Buckeyes (25-14, 2-4) and the Nittany Lions (16-23, 2-4) both sit one game behind MSU in the conference.

Both the coach and players know how important this weekend is in terms of the conference standings.

"We expect to play four good games this weekend and we expect to win all four," senior first base Nat Furrow said. "All aspects of our game need to show up."

MSU has had problems pitching, relying heavily on senior pitcher Jessica Beech but also on two freshmen, Jackie Noble and Christy McGrew. Along with sophomore Katie Joosten, the four have combined for a 2.84 ERA, which ranks last in the Big Ten.

"We'll have to do three things well to win this weekend," Joseph said. "We'll have to pitch well, we'll have to play good defense and hit as well as we've been hitting. We could run into trouble if we don't do all three of those things."

Joseph said she feels a lot better about her pitching staff now than she did at the beginning of the season, with the emergence of McGrew. McGrew only gave up one earned run on five hits and pitched all seven innings in her last outing, against Oakland.

"I talked to coach and my main goal is with every inning to keep getting better," McGrew said. "That's what I've been doing so far and hopefully that can continue this weekend."

The Spartans need McGrew and Noble to carry the load Friday, as Beech will miss the game for personal reasons.

Despite the loss of Beech, Joseph still expects her team to be ready and focused on the game.

"We're going to be without Jessica Beech on Friday ? but I'm encouraged by our freshmen and I think they can do it," Joseph said. "I'm hoping that Christy can just stay focused as to what she is doing and not look beyond this weekend."

MSU has won four out of its last five games going into the weekend. After returning home, MSU does not leave the state again until the Big Ten tournament, as they play nine home games and one road game at Michigan.

"Our confidence is getting a lot higher the more we win," McGrew said.

Share and discuss “'U' readies for 4-game weekend” on social media.