'U' remains perfect at home with 10-4 victory over Warriors

The Spartans had a loud and enthusiastic student cheering section at Kobs Field on Monday afternoon.

And they had plenty of reasons to be boisterous for the near three-hour contest.

The MSU baseball team's offense blistered the scoreboard and left-handed pitcher Scott Koerber silenced Indiana Tech hitters, giving the Spartans a 10-4 victory.

It was the fourth-straight victory for MSU (8-10), bumping the Spartans' home record to a perfect 4-0 this season.

"Four in a row," MSU manager Ted Mahan said after the game. "We're feeling a lot better now. Of course, we've played four straight home games after 14 games on the road; you always have better opportunities to win at home."

Koerber (1-3) arguably had his best outing as a Spartan, striking out a career-high seven batters. He scattered four hits and held the Warriors scoreless in five innings of work.

"It was the first time I was out there in a while, and once we got ahead, I got in the zone," Koerber said.

The Spartans' bats took much of the pressure off Koerber in the first two innings, scoring nine runs. Koerber helped his own cause, drilling a pitch over the left field scoreboard to give MSU a 2-0 lead.

In the second frame, his teammates did their share. After adding another pair of runs, sophomore second baseman Oliver Wolcott reached first on a throwing error by Warriors third baseman Brady Glass.

The next batter, junior first baseman Travis Gulick, launched a pitch deep over the left field fence to give MSU a 7-0 cushion.

Two batters later, senior third baseman James Moreno homered to left center field, and the Spartans' lead was 9-0.

"It's always great to get the first runs on the board," Koerber said. "When the team came out and put seven up in the second inning, I had it a lot easier."

Right-handed pitcher Matt Brew took the loss for the Warriors, pitching six innings and surrendering all 10 MSU runs, four of which were earned.

Indiana Tech (8-12), which scored the game's last four runs, didn't cross home plate until the sixth inning, when MSU relief pitcher Chris Toepper balked on a 3-2 count with a runner on third.

"Michigan State came out and hit well, and they've had the hot bats as of late and they showed it today," Indiana Tech manager Steve Devine said.

"There wasn't any enthusiasm for us coming into the game and we were timid batting. That's a big part of why we lost."

The Spartans return to the field today to take on Siena Heights (1-11). Game time is set for 2 p.m.

Share and discuss “'U' remains perfect at home with 10-4 victory over Warriors” on social media.