Lugnuts come up with win to save face in series

Lugnuts third baseman Corey Slavik slides back into first during Tuesday Night’s game at Oldsmobile Park, 505 E. Mighigan Ave. Peoria first baseman Chris Duncan failed to make the out. —

Lansing - The Lugnuts got a strong pitching performance and some much needed hitting to avoid being swept for the first time this season.

After losing the first three games of the series by a combined score of 29-4, Lansing (28-29) defeated Peoria 7-2 Tuesday at Oldsmobile Park, 505 E. Michigan Ave.

Unlike previous games against the Chiefs (34-22), the Lugnuts were able to capitalize with runners in scoring position, getting to Peoria right-hander Aaron Russelburg (2-3) early.

“We did a very nice job of hitting with a man on base tonight,” Lugnuts manager Julio Garcia. “We haven’t had that in a while.”

With four consecutive hits in the second inning, Lansing took a 2-0 lead.

The inning started with a lead-off double by center fielder Mike Mallory, followed by a single by left fielder Buck Coats. With runners at first and third, second baseman Francisco Salas recorded his first hit and RBI of the season. It was his fourth plate-appearance of the season.

Third baseman Corey Slavik ended the scoring with another RBI-single, scoring Coats.

Peoria tallied one in the top of the third inning, but it didn’t take long for the Lugnuts to answer. Lansing posted four more runs in the bottom half of the inning to end the Chiefs’ rally and take a commanding lead, 6-1.

Coats was credited with the inning’s first three runs with a bases-loaded triple. Then Salas scored Coats with his second RBI-single of the game. Salas finished 2-for-4 with two RBIs.

Peoria added its final run in the top of the fifth, and Lansing capped the scoring with the game’s final run in the sixth inning.

Lugnuts left-hander Adam Wynegar picked up the win after working five innings.

Wynegar (3-2) allowed four hits and two runs, one earned. Right-hander reliever B.J. Benik (1-1) recorded his first save of the season with four shutout innings.

Share and discuss “Lugnuts come up with win to save face in series” on social media.