Friday, September 27, 2024

Four football games sold out; diving pair advances

Senior Carly Weiden and junior Summer Mitchell placed third in Tuesday’s 3-meter synchronized diving preliminaries at the 2001 Speedo National Outdoor Diving Championships in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

The duo will move onto the 3-meter synchronized finals today. Both divers will also participate in the 1-meter synchronized diving preliminaries Friday.

Mitchell and Weiden compiled a score of 226.62, placing them about 30 points out of first place.

The National Outdoor Diving Championships feature the best divers from across the nation. This is the first time two Spartans have qualified for the summer championships.

Football

As the football season quickly approaches, tickets to MSU home games are going even faster.

MSU ticket officials announced Monday the Spartans’ first four home games - against Central Michigan, Missouri, Iowa and Michigan - are already sold out, and tickets are scarce for the final two home games against Indiana and Penn State.

“It’s not uncommon for tickets to sell so fast,” MSU ticket manager Chris Besanceney said. “I think back in the 1997 season when we had Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State (at home), tickets sold out pretty fast.

“Most of the tickets are pre-sold to donors and season-ticket holders before August 1.”

MSU’s season-opener against Central on Sept. 8 and the Missouri game on Sept. 15 both sold out in less than four days. The Oct. 13 Homecoming game against Iowa and the Nov. 3 game against U-M were sold out before Aug. 1.

There are about 3,000 tickets available for the Nov. 10 game against Indiana and 7,000 left for the Penn State game Nov. 24. Besanceney said he hopes to sell those games out as well.

Men’s basketball

MSU sophomore point guard Marcus Taylor was named to the Wooden Award Preseason All-American Team last week.

Every summer, the John R. Wooden Award office selects a committee of voters to pick the 50 best college basketball players based on last year’s accomplishments.

The 50 players are the finalists for the Wooden Award, which is given annually to the best college basketball player in the nation.

Qualifications for the Wooden Award Trophy include making progress toward graduation and having a grade-point average higher than 2.0.

Taylor, a Lansing native, is currently playing on the USA Basketball World Championships for Young Men Team in Japan. As a freshman, Taylor was MSU’s fifth-leading scorer at 7.4 points per game and finished second in assists with 3.6 per game, while starting nine times.

He will be the team’s leading returning scorer this year.

Illinois’ Frank Williams is on the list for the second consecutive year.

Share and discuss “Four football games sold out; diving pair advances” on social media.