Students form teams to battle against cancer in Relay for Life event

The battle might be coming to a close on Saturday, but for some students the war on cancer continues.

The Relay for Life, co-sponsored by Battle Against Cancer and the American Cancer Society, marks the close of this year’s battle which officially began Feb. 1.

Battle Against Cancer, founded in 1999, is an RHA-sponsored organization. To raise money for the American Cancer Society, the group organizers held a pop can drive, a one-on-one basketball tournament and a movie weekend. Donations will also be accepted at the relay.

Organization co-founder Jim McEvoy said he hopes to raise $30,000 at the event, which also marks the first time the Relay for Life has taken place at MSU.

The goal of this year’s Battle Against Cancer was to raise $43,189 - or $1 per MSU student.

“Even if you’re not on a team, I would encourage people to attend,” psychology junior McEvoy said.

“Come out and see what we’re about.”

The Relay for Life will be held from 6 p.m. Friday to 6 p.m. Saturday at the Jenison Field House. The goal for the 15 teams is to keep at least one person walking or running on the track at all times during the 24-hour relay.

Proceeds of the relay will go to cancer research projects around the nation.

Event participant Natalie Zien said her experience with last year’s Relay for Life amazed her.

“The sense of community there is really neat,” the social relations junior said.

“So many people walking for 24 hours and their footsteps helping to fight something like cancer is incredible.”

McEvoy said there will also be Simon Says laps, swing dancing and a volleyball tournament during the relay.

The Battle Against Cancer staff will be selling food, T-shirts and American Cancer Society teddy bears as well as collecting donations.

Organization member Pat Walker said it’s important for students to get involved in the relay and raise awareness for the fight against cancer.

“I joined because cancer almost took one of my friends,” the computer science sophomore said.

“Any effort to rid the world of cancer is beneficial.”

Share and discuss “Students form teams to battle against cancer in Relay for Life event” on social media.