Event serves up taste of area eateries

The Faculty Folk Club and the Mildred B. Erickson Board of MSU are inviting the public to eat some food for thought.

The annual Taste of the Town will be held from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Saturday at the Wharton Center. The event raises money for the Mildred B. Erickson Scholarship.

The public can purchase tickets for $20 and eat food prepared by area restaurants and caterers.

The charitable event donates the money from ticket revenues to provide scholarships for adult students who are reentering MSU.

“It is the only scholarship of its kind for students who are returning to school,” Pat Mukherje, spokeswoman for the event said.

Breads, appetizers, desserts, beverages and entrees from all over the city will be available for taste tests.

“For $20 a ticket it is like going to 20 different restaurants,” she said.

Judy von Bernuth, Taste of the Town co-chairwoman, said the event started out as a wine and cheese party.

“It use to be in the umbrella of the Alumni Association and now we run it,” she said.

The scholarship is in memory of Mildred Erickson, who died last year, von Bernuth said.

“She recognized the issue of returning adults because she herself was one,” she said.

Erickson returned to MSU after her husband, former Provost Clifford Erickson died. After graduation she joined the faculty in 1963.

Beggar’s Banquet, Mountain Jack’s and the Kellogg Center State Room are just some of the donors for the event.

Ruth Mayrecak, conference services manager of the State Room, said the restaurant will be contributing a selected entree from the menu.

“We give the guests an idea of what we serve in our restaurant,” she said.

Mayrecak said the event is important because Erickson helped hundreds of students whose degrees were interrupted.

“She knew the difficulties of returning to school, especially after the death of her husband,” she said.

The cause is what brings Beggar’s Banquet, 218 Abbott Road, back every year, said Cindi Swlpe, Executive Chef for the eatery.

“The restaurant has been contributing for the last three years,” she said.

“It’s an excellent promotional event, it’s a lot of fun and it is a good cause.”

Other local restaurants are also excited about the event.

Steven VanHevle, a chef at Mountain Jack’s on 5800 W. Saginaw St. in Lansing, said the restaurant has been contributing for seven years.

VanHevle said Taste of the Town is a great opportunity to open doors.

“It is a great way to meet people from around town and other chefs,” he said.

Reservations can be made by calling von Bernuth at 626-6813.

Share and discuss “Event serves up taste of area eateries” on social media.