MSU bounces back in the Florida Sunshine Classic with win over Syracuse

MSU defeats the Orange 89-76 following loss to Baylor

In their second game of the Florida Sunshine Classic,  No. 18 MSU women's basketball (8-3) team defeated No. 19 Syracuse (8-3) 89-76 on Sunday night. 

The Spartans avenged yesterdays 84-65 loss to No. 9 Baylor, the win over the Orange gave MSU a 1-1 record in the Florida Sunshine Classic.

Despite a winning effort, turnovers were again a problem for the Spartans, MSU gave the ball away 19 times compared to only 12 turnovers by the Orange.

The defense led the way for MSU, holding Syracuse to 38 percent on 27-of-72 shooting. The Spartans shot 54 percent on 29-of-54 shooting and led the way at the charity stripe, shooting 25-of-32 at the line compared to just 16-of-25 at the line for the Orange. MSU also managed to grab 46 rebounds compared to just 38 from Syracuse. 

After 20 minutes of action the two teams went into the half tied at 31 a piece but a high scoring second half saw the Spartans outscore Syracuse 58-45 all while holding the lead for most of the second half. Syracuse's last lead came at the 14:18 mark of the second half when the Orange were up 43-41. 

MSU had three players score in double figures. Leading the way for the Spartans was sophomore forward Ariel Powers who put up 32 points on 11-of-15 shooting all while grabbing 17 rebounds and dishing out three assists, this was Powers eighth double-double of the season. 

Another key performer in the win was sophomore guard Tori Jankoska, who also managed to put up a double-double grabbing 10 rebounds and scoring 25 points on 7-of-10 shooting. The Spartans third double-digit scorer of the night, senior forward Becca Mills put up 19 points on 6-of-10 shooting. 

After back-to-back games, the Spartans will take a week off before beginning Big Ten play against the Northwestern Wildcats (10-1) on Dec. 28 in East Lansing. 

Share and discuss “MSU bounces back in the Florida Sunshine Classic with win over Syracuse” on social media.