Monday, March 18, 2024

MSU defeats Alcorn State in Florida tune-up

The Spartans head into Florida off a win at home against Alcorn State

<p>Sophomore guard Tori Jankoska attempts to shoot the ball over Alcron guard Shaqueria Dubose Dec. 16, 2014, during the game at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Braves, . Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Sophomore guard Tori Jankoska attempts to shoot the ball over Alcron guard Shaqueria Dubose Dec. 16, 2014, during the game at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Braves, . Erin Hampton/The State News

Photo by Erin Hampton | The State News

In their tune-up for the Florida Sunshine Classic, MSU women's basketball flexed their muscles.

No. 18/21 MSU (7-2) defeated Alcorn State (1-6) 77-41 Tuesday night at Breslin Center.

MSU's scoring leader was once again sophomore forward Ariel Powers who contributed 23 points to the win.

Season scoring leader Tori Jankoska added 17 points to help the Spartans dismantle the Lady Braves.

Powers and senior forward Becca Mills led the team in rebounds with seven each, throughout the game MSU was able to out-rebound ASU 45-35.

MSU shot 49 percent from the field compared to ASU's 24 percent. 

The Spartans will play in the Florida Sunshine classic against Baylor Dec. 20 and Syracuse the next day. Both games will be at 4 p.m.

Share and discuss “MSU defeats Alcorn State in Florida tune-up” on social media.