Volleyball's season comes to an end at the hands of Stanford

MSU is unable to advance to the Sweet 16 for the third straight season

The volleyball team was not able to advance to the Sweet Sixteen for a third consecutive season.

The Spartans’ season ended on Saturday night in the second round against No. 1 Stanford (31-1 overall). MSU (19-14 overall) fell to the Cardinal in four competitive sets, 1-3 (20-25, 22-25, 26-24, 23-25)

MSU went toe to toe with Stanford in the first set as both teams exchanged points, until a 4-0 run gave the Cardinal a 20-16 lead.

Despite the close score, it was a sloppy set for the Spartans, who hit at a .156 clip and committed eight errors.

The second set was much of the same for MSU, who kept it close but in the end could not pull out the victory.

Stanford’s junior outside hitter Jordan Burgess was a thorn in the Spartans side all night long.

Burgess finished with a team-high 15 kills.

With their season on the line, MSU came out hot in the third set, taking six of the first seven points.

The Spartans would stave off a late Cardinal charge and win the set in extra points, 26-24.

MSU and Stanford would again go blow for blow in the fourth set as the score would be tied on three different occasions.

A kill by senior outside hitter Taylor Galloway tied the score at 23 but that would be the last point of MSU’s season.

Back-to-back kills by Burgess sealed the deal for Stanford and sent them to the Sweet 16.

For the second night in a row, sophomore hitter’s Allyssah Fitterer and Chloe Reinig led the offensive attack for MSU, registering a combined 30 kills.

In their last game as Spartans, Galloway and senior libero Kori Moster walked off in impressive fashion.

Galloway recorded her fourth double-double of the season, finishing with 11 kills and 13 digs.

Moster had 13 digs, which tied Galloway for the team lead. 

Share and discuss “Volleyball's season comes to an end at the hands of Stanford” on social media.