Pat Narduzzi to leave MSU, become head coach at Pittsburgh

The defensive coordinator has reportedly agreed to coach the Panthers, details yet to be finalized

<p>Assistant head coach/defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi low fives junior defensive end Shilique Calhoun before the game against Nebraska on Oct. 4, 2014, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Huskers, 27-22. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Assistant head coach/defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi low fives junior defensive end Shilique Calhoun before the game against Nebraska on Oct. 4, 2014, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Huskers, 27-22. Julia Nagy/The State News

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

MSU head coach Mark Dantonio said last week in a press conference that his team will be prepared if Pat Narduzzi skips town and accepts a head coaching position with another program.

It appears as though that day has come. Pete Thamel of Sports Illustrated reports that Narduzzi is expected take over as head coach of Pittsburgh next season.

According to Thamel, a deal has not been finalized between the Panthers and Narduzzi but the 48-year-old should be announced following Christmas day once an agreement has been made.

Narduzzi has been the top candidate for a program who was in need of a replacement for Paul Chryst, who will become the next head coach of the Wisconsin Badgers. The Spartans have been some of the top defenses in the nation under his tenure, finishing in the top 10 in total defense and rush defense in the past four years.

Last year’s Frank Broyles Award recipient now takes over a Panther program who finished 6-6 this season and 4-4 in the Atlantic Coast Conference. They’ll face Houston in the Armed Forces Bowl Jan. 2.

This isn’t the first time that the highest paid coordinator in the Big Ten has received significant interest from other programs. Before the Rose Bowl last season, Narduzzi turned down a $2 million offer from the University of Connecticut.

He also garnered attention from Louisville before they went out and hired former Atlanta Falcons head coach Bobby Petrino in replacement of Charlie Strong, who accepted the opening at Texas.

Narduzzi also took the time to interview for the Colorado State job this past Sunday but declined not to go further in discussions with the Rams in order to focus solely on the Pittsburgh job. 

Share and discuss “Pat Narduzzi to leave MSU, become head coach at Pittsburgh” on social media.