Monday, March 18, 2024

MSU defeats Eastern Michigan 66-46 despite Branden Dawson's injury

The senior forward took a nasty fall but MSU was still able to get the win

<p>Head Coach Tom Izzo talks with senior guard/forward Branden Dawson during the game against Arkansas-Pine Bluff on Dec. 6, 2014, at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Golden Lions, 85-52. Aerika Williams/The State News </p>

Head Coach Tom Izzo talks with senior guard/forward Branden Dawson during the game against Arkansas-Pine Bluff on Dec. 6, 2014, at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Golden Lions, 85-52. Aerika Williams/The State News

After knocking off Big Ten foe Michigan on Dec. 9, upset-minded Eastern Michigan came to Breslin with the hopes of defeating another in-state power conference team.

MSU needed some time to adjust to the Eastern 2-3 zone but eventually found its groove, pulling away for a 66-46 victory.

EMU (8-2) caused early problems for the Spartan offense. MSU (8-3) tried to work the ball into the heart of the zone, but senior forward Branden Dawson had trouble when he got it in the lane.

Dawson passed up some short-range shots, but when he did pull the trigger, EMU had its hands ready and either altered or blocked his shots.

“That zone can frustrate the Spurs,” Izzo said. “I’d like to learn a little about that thing to be very blunt and honest with you. That’s how impressed I was by how they play and how hard they play it.”

MSU started knocking down shots towards the end of the half and came away with a 34-19 lead at the break. EMU shot an abysmal 18.8% from the field in the first half.

Coming out of halftime, senior guard Travis Trice got things going for the Spartans, and after a dunk in transition, he helped MSU double up the Eagles, taking a 38-19 lead. Izzo noted that he thought Trice, who finished with 13 points and six assists, had one of his best games and that his senior guard was “phenomenal” during timeouts.

Questionable officiating was the story of the first four minutes of the half, but beyond the foul calls, the Spartans had much more to worry about when Dawson went up for a put-back dunk but while landing, he braced himself with his hands and appeared to hurt his wrist.

“I just felt bad for him,” Izzo said. “It looks like things are gonna go well and then he gets hurt. I feel for him. I love the kid.”

Dawson headed to the locker room with the team doctor, but he reappeared on the bench later with his wrist wrapped in ice. Izzo said that he thinks the injury won’t be anything “real serious.”

During Dawson’s trip to the locker room, freshman forward Javon Bess made his first appearance of the year in the second half after missing the team’s first ten games with an ankle injury. Bess played nine minutes in the win and gathered five rebounds.

MSU had the game in hand for the entire second half, never allowing Eastern to get within 12 points of its lead. The Eagles poor shooting continued in the second half and EMU finished 22.6% from the field and 18.2% from three-point range.

Junior guard Bryn Forbes led the way for the Spartans with 14 points. Shots along the perimeter are typically open against  a zone like Eastern’s, and Forbes had a heyday with it.

“Playing a zone is pretty fun when you have passers like (Valentine), (Dawson), and (Trice),” Forbes said. “It makes it a lot easier than if you didn’t have those guys…it helps me play to my strengths and knock down shots.”

Share and discuss “MSU defeats Eastern Michigan 66-46 despite Branden Dawson's injury” on social media.