Tuesday, March 19, 2024

After a long wait, Javon Bess is ready to make debut against Eastern Michigan

Bess begins his season tonight against EMU

<p>Freshman forward Javon Bess dances with fans as he is introduced Oct. 24, 2014, during Midnight Madness at Breslin Center. Head Coach Suzy Merchant performed as Beyonce and Head Coach Tom Izzo performed as a member of KISS. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Freshman forward Javon Bess dances with fans as he is introduced Oct. 24, 2014, during Midnight Madness at Breslin Center. Head Coach Suzy Merchant performed as Beyonce and Head Coach Tom Izzo performed as a member of KISS. Erin Hampton/The State News

Photo by Erin Hampton | The State News

It's been a long time coming for Javon Bess, but the freshman guard will make his debut on Wednesday against Eastern Michigan.

Bess, a Yahoo! Sports three-star recruit who has been described as a "diamond in the rough" by head coach Tom Izzo, was a potential starter before undergoing surgery on his right foot in late October.

The Columbus, Ohio native, who returned to practice last week, will give MSU's rotation another skilled passer, duplicating what has been an enormous strength for the team early in the season. Bess is also a skilled defender and slasher, complementing MSU's bevy of 3-point marksmen.

Izzo said he almost decided to play Bess on Sunday before deciding to wait and see Bess in one more full practice.

"He's had absolutely no problems and he's chomping at the bit," Izzo said on Sunday following the win against Oakland. "I think we'll start seeing him on a regular basis now and work him into some playing feel."

Bess is the final piece in a guard rotation that became depleted following injuries to him and sophomore guard Alvin Ellis III, who returned to action two weeks ago and is currently 90 percent healthy, according to Tom Izzo.

Bess joins Ellis as the only consistent slashers on the team, and because both guards have missed significant time, MSU's ability to get to the line has suffered. With Bess and Ellis both in the lineup, Izzo anticipates having more options on offense and relying less on shooting from deep.

"As we add those two guys, I think it will help some," Izzo said. "I would say as I look at our team, that might be one of the biggest negatives we’ve had. We just haven’t gotten to the line enough and, boy, I sure can’t blame the officials on that. I gotta look in the mirror.”

Bess said the toughest part of sitting out was fighting the itch to play after his foot felt healed. But he said he's improved as a vocal leader during his time off the court and is excited to see time on the court.

"I'm learning how to be more vocal, because that's one thing i had to work on anyway," Bess said. "Just telling people when I see something that they might not see, just being able to go there and tell them."

The Spartans will face Eastern Michigan at 9 p.m. at Breslin Center.

Share and discuss “After a long wait, Javon Bess is ready to make debut against Eastern Michigan” on social media.