Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Branden Dawson goes down with injury in MSU's win over Eastern Michigan

A hard fall made Dawson leave the game, Izzo not worried

<p>Senior forward/guard Branden Dawson attempts a point over Oakland forward Tommie McCune Dec. 14, 2014, during a game against Oakland at Breslin Center. The Spartans were leading the Golden Grizzlies at halftime, 44-31. Erin Hampton/The State News
</p>

Senior forward/guard Branden Dawson attempts a point over Oakland forward Tommie McCune Dec. 14, 2014, during a game against Oakland at Breslin Center. The Spartans were leading the Golden Grizzlies at halftime, 44-31. Erin Hampton/The State News

Photo by Erin Hampton | The State News

For roughly 25 minutes, the men's basketball team had a fully healthy squad for the first time all season.

The return of freshman guard Javon Bess, who played for the first time on Wednesday against Eastern Michigan after undergoing surgery on his right foot in October, was supposed to spell the end of MSU's injury woes. 

But the injury bug reared its head once again, this time striking senior forward Branden Dawson. He landed awkwardly on a dunk attempt early in the second half, and initial tests show a sprained wrist.

Dawson landed on his back, and laid on the ground for several minutes in pain before being helped off the court.

"I love the kid and I don't think it's going to be serious, I really don't," head coach Tom Izzo said. "These setbacks are hard on him, and to us, and now we have time in practice, and I guess we can look at it as we can get a couple of our guys more ready. I felt bad for BJ. I saw the tape, and I mean, it wasn't pretty. But he is tougher than nails, maybe he'll bounce back."

Izzo said Dawson will be further evaluated on Thursday. 

It's the latest setback for Dawson, who has had several injuries during his time at MSU. The senior forward, who is averaging 11.6 points and 8.6 rebounds this season, suffered a torn ACL during his freshman year and broke his hand last season, missing 10 games. 

Izzo hasn't been able to solidify his rotation due to injuries to Bess and sophomore guard Alvin Ellis III. With Dawson's injury, Izzo is searching for answers once again.

"I keep thinking someone's gonna ask me where our team's at, and every time I feel good about it there's something else that goes wrong," Izzo said.

Despite the injury, Dawson's teammates are optimistic the senior forward will come back strong.

"It'll change a lot," junior guard Denzel Valentine said. "He's so multi-talented and he does a lot of things for us. He's out, it's a bummer, but hopefully he gets back."

Senior guard Travis Trice said he became nervous when Dawson laid on the ground for several minutes, but isn't worried that he'll miss extended time.

"I was scared when he didn't get up right away, but BJ's a tough guy," Trice said. 'He'll bounce back."

Share and discuss “Branden Dawson goes down with injury in MSU's win over Eastern Michigan” on social media.