Silver Bells in the City remains a beloved holiday tradition

Thousands of lights illuminated the eager faces of those who attended Lansing’s 30th celebration of Silver Bells in the City on Friday.

Lansing resident Phillis Handley said the celebration, which takes place every Friday before Thanksgiving, expected to bring in around 100,000 people this year.

“Events like this draw people together,” Handley said, “I’ve seen people here today that I haven’t seen in five or 10 years.”

Silver Bells in the City began in 1984, with only about 2,500 lights surrounding the Washington Square Mall and a community sing. It wasn’t until the third year that the state tree was lit during the celebration.

The event grew through the years, and in 1997 the Electric Light Parade was introduced.

Communications and Marketing Manager of Downtown Lansing Inc. Layna AndersonOH said the parade is now the biggest part of Silver Bells in the City.

“Every float in the parade is required to have at least 5,000 lights,” Anderson said.

Lansing resident Jake Keenan, 18, said he has lived there all his life and comes to see Silver Bells in the City every year.

“The parade is my favorite part and (my friend Abigail) has never seen it so I brought her with me this year,” Keenan said.

Handley said her favorite part of the celebration is the marching bands, which compete during the Electric Light Parade for the Best Illuminated Band award. She also enjoys the the community collaboration that the event encourages.

“Silver Bells brings a bigger perspective of what is going on in Lansing. It helps the businesses and shows how they support the community,” Handley said.OH

Vendors throughout downtown Lansing sell unique and artsy products to attendees during Silver Bells, and cultural institutions and venues in the area are open and free to the public. After the state tree is lit, there are fireworks and a family-friendly concert.

Anderson, who has lived in Lansing for 10 years, says for her Silver Bells in the City is a way to start the holiday season.

“After Silver Bells, the whole city feels different. There’s an air of holiday spirit,” Anderson said.

Share and discuss “Silver Bells in the City remains a beloved holiday tradition” on social media.