MSU women's cross country wins NCAA Cross Country Championship for first time in program history

The NCAA Women’s Cross Country Championship went to MSU Saturday, where four Spartans finished in the top 25. This is the first time the Spartans have won in program history.

Redshirt sophomore Rachele Schulist led the Spartans who finished fourth place (19:54.3), followed by redshirt junior Lindsay Clark in 11th (20:16.0), redshirt senior Leah O’ Connor in 17th (20:20.8_ and redshirt senior Julia Otwell in 21st (20:29.5). The women's team finished with 85 points, leading with a 62-point gap — the lowest total score at the NCAA Championships since 2008.

"You can't beat this. These are the best girls in the world," Schulist said in released statement. "They're just amazing. I just love our team. We work together and take care of each other and that's what makes us. There's so much love. I love it."

Big Ten opponents Wisconsin and Michigan placed 10th and 18th. Wisconsin’s Sarah Disanza finished second overall.

The women's team won the championship coming off of the Great Lakes Regional and Big Ten Championship win.

"I can't say enough about the kids. I couldn't be more proud of them," head coach Walt Drenth said in released statement. "The way they've handled themselves all year and the way they are a team. The way they trust each other and Coach [Lisa] Senakiewich and I. That's been as gratifying as anything. To win a national championship, it's a really proud moment. I'd really like to thank Spartan nation, that was amazing to hear that 'Go Green, Go White.' I couldn't be more proud to be a Spartan right now."

Share and discuss “MSU women's cross country wins NCAA Cross Country Championship for first time in program history” on social media.