MSU Opera performances go beyond just singing

<p>Music performance senior Jon Oakley and music performance graduate Schyler Sheltrown rehearse for the production of Mozart's Cosi fan tutee on Nov. 17, 2014, at the MSU Auditorium. The show will run from Nov. 18 until Nov. 23. Aerika Williams/The State News </p>

Music performance senior Jon Oakley and music performance graduate Schyler Sheltrown rehearse for the production of Mozart's Cosi fan tutee on Nov. 17, 2014, at the MSU Auditorium. The show will run from Nov. 18 until Nov. 23. Aerika Williams/The State News

Each time he steps on stage, vocal performance senior Jon OakleyOH acknowledges that it is an opportunity for more than just showcasing his talent.

While most of his family and friends are unfamiliar with opera productions, Oakley finds purpose in using his skills to create a new experience for the audience.

“It’s always great to give people exposure to a different art form that they have never really seen,” he said. OH“A lot of people have predispositions about opera and they think it’s just people standing and singing, but that’s not the case. It is full theater.”OH

After going through the competitive process and securing a spot in the MSU Opera Theatre for his fourth year, Oakley said he recognizes the significant change in the confidence and knowledge that he is able to bring to each performance.

Under the direction of Melanie Helton, MSU professor of voice,OH the opera theater performs two fully-staged opera productions each season, which allows students to experience all of the elements that encompass a professional opera performance.

“One of the reasons we love opera is because it’s everything,” Helton said.OH “It’s drama, it’s costumes, it’s scenery, it’s glorious music, it’s the human voice unamplified.”OH

Performing in the opera theater for her fifth year, vocal performance graduate student Schyler Sheltrown OHsaid the program fosters healthy competition and provides a variety of experiences that have helped her to build up her resume and continue preparing for her entrance into the professional world of music.

“In my undergrad, I was in an opera almost every semester, which is huge for an undergraduate music major because most colleges focus more on the master’s program,” she said. OH“We also double cast every show in this program. At other places, that could get really cutthroat, but here, it’s only encouraging.”OH

Although working with faculty members within the College of Music continues to be beneficial, Sheltrown said having the opportunity to work alongside guest conductors that bring a new level of musicianship allows her to challenge herself.

While preparing for their production of Mozart’s Così fan tutte that debuted Nov. 19 OHin Fairchild Theatre, students in the opera theater were able to collaborate with guest conductor Marcello Cormio. OHOriginally from Italy, Cormio has conducted in both academic and professional settings throughout the U.S. and Europe for many years.

Guest conducting for his first time at MSU, Cormio said the level of professionalism that the students have demonstrated in their performance and work ethic has made it one of his best conducting experiences to date.

“I haven’t found anything I was missing in terms of the highest artistic level, preparation, or vocal ability,” he said. OH“It’s very interesting how very often you find young students who have a commitment and enthusiasm that sometimes you don’t even find in professional settings.”

Share and discuss “MSU Opera performances go beyond just singing” on social media.