MSU hockey unable to take advantage of offensive opportunities, falls to Ferris State 1-0

<p>Junior forward Michael Ferrantino runs the puck down the ice Oct. 31, 2014 during a game against Ferris State at Munn Ice Arena. The Bulldogs defeated the Spartans, 1-0. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Junior forward Michael Ferrantino runs the puck down the ice Oct. 31, 2014 during a game against Ferris State at Munn Ice Arena. The Bulldogs defeated the Spartans, 1-0. Erin Hampton/The State News

Photo by Erin Hampton | The State News

MSU hockey (1-4 overall) spent its Halloween night on the ice, as they were defeated by No. 14 Ferris State (3-3) by a score of 1-0. 

Sophomore forward Jared Van Wormer scored the lone goal for the Bulldogs, and senior goaltender CJ Motte stopped all 36 shots taken by the Spartans. For MSU, junior captain Michael Ferrantino led the team with six shots on goal, and junior goaltender Jake Hildebrand made 15 saves for his team. When the final whistle blew, MSU held a 36-16 advantage in shots.

“That’s a tough pill to swallow,” head coach Tom Anastos said of the game. “I liked our effort. I thought guys were ready to play, but we were a little tentative.

“I think we relaxed more in the second and third period and did a lot of good things. We did everything but what you need to do to win the game – score some goals.”

The scoring got started, and finished, early in this contest, as FSU’s Jared Van Wormer beat Hildebrand on a shot from the slot. MSU had been controlling the puck in the Bulldogs’ zone, but one quick rush and a battle along the boards behind MSU’s net left Van Wormer wide open to give FSU a 1-0 lead.

The Spartans had a handful of quality scoring chances throughout the remainder of the first period. MSU was afforded a power play with just over eight minutes remaining in the period, but had trouble finding clean looks at the net.

“The way they play defense, that swarm is really hard to get offensive movement going,” Ferrantino said. “There were some chances there that we probably should have had. Either we hit them or we missed the net or whatever the case was … but [Motte] played well, so give him credit.

The second period was MSU’s best period of the game, as they outshot the Bulldogs 18-2. Junior forward Ryan Keller had a great chance to the right of the net and sophomore forward Mackenzie MacEachern had another one just to the other side of the net. MacEachern, who has a goal and three assists on the season, was all over the ice tonight generating five shots on goal and playing in all situations.

“We had quality chances there,” Ferrantino said of the second period. “For whatever reason, there just not going for us right now and you know, we’re going to stick with it and soon enough they will.”

The third period was just as frustrating for MSU as the first two, as they still were unable to solve Motte. Identical to the first period, shots ended 9-7 in MSU’s favor. 

The Spartans had a late opportunity on the power play, after an FSU player went off for holding 6:30 into the period. Unfortunately, MSU couldn’t do anything with it and couldn’t find much the remainder of the game either. 

The Spartan power play unit is now 1-for-24 on the season, still looking to fix the execution and gain more confidence with it.

These two teams will play again at Munn Ice Arena on Saturday at 7 p.m.

Share and discuss “MSU hockey unable to take advantage of offensive opportunities, falls to Ferris State 1-0” on social media.