Student group Advantage gives thanks for educational opportunities

Growing up on the west side of Detroit, college wasn’t a subject often discussed with material science engineering senior Clarence Jilek.OH

It is a topic of conversation at Advantage, which is a minority retention program for MSU students that meets every Tuesday.OH It aims to ensure that students achieve their educational goals while attending MSU.

The theme of the most recent event was for students to discuss “why” and “what I am thankful for.” Approaching Thanksgiving, discussions of why you attend MSU and what you are thankful for was appropriate, members said.

“Everybody’s (mother) had this plan about their kids going to college and none of my boys ever did,” Jilek said. OH“My ‘why’ is graduating and being successful for those mothers because I am, in a sense, their son.”OH

Jilek said he wants to set a platform for everybody else from his hometown, including himself, but mainly for the future and “letting them know if I can make it then you definitely can, too.”OH

The staff put on skits for the audience portraying potential circumstances where students may feel lost and feel as though they aren’t thankful for anything, but eventually overcome.

Secondary education senior Kaylen English, president of Advantage, said it was important for freshmen and upperclassmen to share with one another. She said it’s important for any student to always remind themselves of why they’re at MSU, and why they should stay.

“It can get hard at MSU and sometimes I want to give up,” English said. “This was a way to connect with students because some of us are here for the same reasons.”

“My ‘why’ originally was my degree, but now it is making sure people feel better than I do on my bad days,” Human development and family studies senior Ona Ventour said. OH“I have the ability to put that aside and make somebody feel good, which in turn makes me feel good.”OH

Ventour said having the opportunity to make someone else feel good reminds her that she is still useful, even on days when she feels she isn’t. She utilizes her bad days by going to class, going to work, and volunteering.

“That in itself is my motivation. It strengthens me, and it helps repair me,” Ventour said.OH

Undergraduate University Division adviser Walter Bivens OHwas the guest speaker. He gave a speech on how different methods of utilizing information is important in life.

“You have your own relationship with you,” Bivens said. OH“If you cheat and if you mess up, if you slack then you’re the one that has to deal with you at the end of the day.”OH

Bivens also shared a story about how his mother was told she wasn’t going to have any children, but soon after gave birth to him. He said he is thankful for his life every day, and reminded the students that they have so much to be thankful for themselves.

“If you don’t have anything that you can be thankful for and be happy about when you wake up in the morning, you will never really be able to experience the life you really want to live,” Bivens said.OH

Share and discuss “Student group Advantage gives thanks for educational opportunities” on social media.