Monday, May 6, 2024

MSU hockey splits Big Ten opener against Ohio State, 1-1

The hockey team (4-7-0 overall, 1-1-0-0 Big Ten) was defeated 3-0 Friday night by the Ohio State Buckeyes (4-7-1 overall, 1-1-0-0 Big Ten). After defeating the Buckeyes 2-1 the previous night, the Spartans couldn’t muster up any goals on Friday.

The Buckeyes got their first good scoring opportunity when MSU junior defender Travis Walsh was called for a tripping penalty at the 2:47 mark in the first period, giving Ohio State a power play opportunity. The Spartans successfully killed the penalty allowing just one shot and no goals. 

The first period ended with no score for either team despite a high volume of shots. The Spartans took 11 shots in the period compared to 14 by the Buckeyes. 

The second period was a much different story. Ohio State got things going with their first goal of the game at the 2:16 mark of the period making it 1-0. The Buckeyes scored on a goal by senior forward Matt Johnson with an assist from senior forward Chad Niddery and freshman forward Christian Lampasso.

That Buckeyes weren't done with their second period scoring yet. Ohio State made it 2-0 on a power play goal at the 7:54 mark of the period. The Buckeyes earned their power play opportunity after MSU freshman defender Josh Jacobs was called for a cross-checking penalty. OSU sophomore forward Nick Schilkey scored the goal for the Buckeyes on an assist from sophomore defender Drew Brevig and sophomore forward David Gust.

The second period ended with the Buckeyes leading the Spartans 2-0. MSU took seven shots in the period compared to six from Ohio State. 

The Buckeyes sent another one into the back of the MSU net at the 3:14 mark in the third period. Ohio State's third and final goal of the game was scored by senior forward Darik Angeli and assisted by Schilkey and junior defender Sam Jardine. 

MSU outshot the Buckeyes in the period taking 11 shots compared to just eight by Ohio State. Despite the loss MSU outshot OSU overall in the game taking 29 compared to 28 for the Buckeyes. The Spartans take a break from Big Ten play to take on the Princeton Tigers (1-5-1 overall, 1-4-0 ECAC) in a two game series on Nov. 28 and 29. 

Share and discuss “MSU hockey splits Big Ten opener against Ohio State, 1-1” on social media.