Lippett sees time on both sides of the ball during MSU's win against Rutgers

<p>Senior wide receiver Tony Lippett runs the ball into the end zone Nov. 22, 2014, during the game against Rutgers at the Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Scarlet Knights, 45-3. Aerika Williams/The State News </p>

Senior wide receiver Tony Lippett runs the ball into the end zone Nov. 22, 2014, during the game against Rutgers at the Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Scarlet Knights, 45-3. Aerika Williams/The State News

Going into Saturday's game against Rutgers, senior wide receiver Tony Lippett only needed one yard to join the 1,000 receiving yards club as only the eighth Spartan to reach that milestone. He achieved that on MSU’s second offensive drive of the game. 

While that will stand as an amazing achievement in the MSU record books for years to come, it wasn’t what many were talking about after the game. It was his appearance on the other side of the ball for the green-and-white that everyone was talking about during the post game.

Lippett saw action on both offensive and defense during Saturday’s 45-3 victory over Rutgers (6-5 overall, 2-5 Big Ten) starting at his normal position of wide receiver and also his former spot at cornerback. Lippett was listed as the starter at field side cornerback but didn’t technically get the start because he simply forgot to go on the field.

Lippett said the coaching staff came to him at the beginning of the week and asked him about playing on the defense this week and he was all for it.

“I played corner here before so he wanted to ask me about the situation first and I just tried to embrace it,” Lippett said. “Just go out there, like I said and have fun, and just play loose.”

Although Lippett didn’t get the official start like No. 10 MSU (9-2 overall, 6-1 Big Ten) had planned, he played into the second half at both positions recording five receptions for 72 yards and one touchdown, and one tackle and two pass breakups on defense.

With Lippett having spent time at defensive back earlier in his career and it being his final game at Spartan Stadium head coach Mark Dantonio found it fitting for the Detroit, Mich. native to get playing time at both positions on Saturday. Dantonio said the decision by no means was just a tribute to Lippett but an area where the coaching staff saw him making plays on the field.

“He’s got great ball skills, he’s a big tall guy so he’s got length on him and he can play bigger receivers,” Dantonio said. “He’s started for us at corner before, (and) I think it does add to his draft status or whatever it is. Gives other people the opportunity to look at him in that area as well but he’s a very good football player, he can start for us on either side of the ball.”

Dantonio added that the door is still open for Lippett to see some more time at cornerback in next week’s season finale at Penn State and the bowl game. Junior cornerback Darian Hicks had been the starting field side cornerback throughout the season but has struggled as of late, including a poor performance on the national stage against Ohio State on Nov. 8.

Lippett’s performance didn’t go unnoticed by his teammates. Senior free safety Kurtis Drummond came in with Lippett as part of the 2010 recruiting class and welcomed Lippett to secondary this week with open arms.

Drummond said after this week’s performance he can remain as part of No-Fly Zone.

“He fit right in with the No-Fly Zone,” Drummond said. “... I had all the confidence in him, I’ve been on the field with him before at Iowa, Northwestern so Tony’s played there before, he’s an athlete.

"There wasn’t anything nerve wracking for me. Tony made some great plays, great tackles and he brought excitement too for us. Having Tony out there it was fun to play with him."

Share and discuss “Lippett sees time on both sides of the ball during MSU's win against Rutgers” on social media.