Late run helps women's basketball pull off 64-45 win over IUPUI

<p>Sophomore guard Tori Jankoska dribbles the ball down court Nov. 23, 2014, during the game against IUPUI at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Jaguars, 64-45. Jessalyn Tamez/The State News </p>

Sophomore guard Tori Jankoska dribbles the ball down court Nov. 23, 2014, during the game against IUPUI at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Jaguars, 64-45. Jessalyn Tamez/The State News

Photo by Jessalyn Tamez | The State News

After an emotional loss to No. 3 Notre Dame, No. 15 MSU was back in action at Breslin Center taking on the Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis Jaguars.

MSU looked sluggish at times but was able to pull out a 64-45 win after a 20-9 run to end the game.

“It just wasn’t our best performance,”mrhead coach Suzy Merchantmr said. “I was a little worried about that coming off a big, emotional game like Notre Dame.”mr

The Spartans’ two best scorers were two familiar faces, as sophomore guard Tori Jankoskamr had 22 pointsmr and sophomore forward Aeriel Powersmr had 17 points along with 13 reboundsmr.

Jankoska said she has been working on taking more efficient shots, and the results showed as she was 11-of-13mr from the floor.

“Today I focused on taking good shots,” mrshe said. “Shot selection is always important. I want to focus on 3-point shot selection and getting to the free-throw line.”mr

MSU out-rebounded IUPUI 39-33mr. Merchant said she was happy with the way the team rebounded, but Powers said the team can do better.mr

“I think we should have done a little bit more,”mr she said. “I think the issue is not pursuing the ball well.”mr

Merchant said she knew IUPUI would be a good rebounding team, and she was happy with her team’s effort, especially on the defensive end.mr

“This is a really good offensive rebounding team,” mrshe said. “We tried to focus on making sure they were one and done on the defensive end. I’m not sure we did a great job once they broke us down, but for the most part I think our team is trying to work on the one and dones.”mr

Powers said she didn’t think the Notre Dame loss entered the minds of the players today.mr

“I’m not sure if it was an emotional hangover,”mrshe said. “I just think our intensity wasn’t the same.”mr

Jankoska said although the players tried not to let that loss creep into their minds, it’s tough to prepare for everyone the same way.mr

“You come into the game and try to get your mind set the same way for each game,”mrshe said. “I think I do as much as I can, but Notre Dame and this team are not the same.”mr

Merchant and the players said this is a team that is still trying to find an identity.mr

“It’s too early to tell,”mr Merchant said. “That’s what November and December are for, you’re trying to find out what kind of team you’ll be.”mr

Share and discuss “Late run helps women's basketball pull off 64-45 win over IUPUI” on social media.