Teen sentenced to minimum of 25 years for murder of MSU sophomore

<p>Dustyn Frolka</p>

Dustyn Frolka

ST. JOHNS — Tyrel Bredernitz was sentenced to a minimum of 25 years in prison for his involvement in the death of MSU sophomore Dustyn Frolka today in Clinton County Court. If not granted parole, he could serve up to 35 years.

Bredernitz,18, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in September.

Judge Randy Tahvonen said Frolka’s death was a tragic one, and “is a story of a death out of time that didn’t need to be.”

While deliberating on a sentence, Tahvonen said the court couldn’t possibly give “a sense of wholeness” to Frolka’s family, but hopes Frolka's memory won’t be a source of torment for the family in the future.

Bredernitz and his accomplices, Saline, Mich., teens Samantha Grigg, 18, and Brendan Heim, 17, all pled guilty to their charges associated with Frolka's Feb. 15 death.

Frolka’s death was a robbery gone wrong, according to previous testimony. After luring Frolka into Grigg’s car, Heim and Bredernitz proceeded to beat Frolka, reportedly using brass knuckles.

After Frolka jumped from the moving car onto the side of I-96 in Bath Township, the two continued to beat Frolka and stripped him of his belongings, leaving him partially clothed and in respiratory distress along the highway.

After being taken to Lansing’s Sparrow hospital by emergency responders, Frolka, who was 18-years-old, died shortly after.

Bredernitz apologized for his crimes during the sentencing.

“My heart goes out to Dustyn Frolka, his family, his friends. I did not know my actions would cause this much pain,” Bredernitz said. “I’m deeply sorry and I do regret what my actions have caused."

As well as an MSU student, Frolka was a father to an infant daughter and was an aspiring rapper.

Frolka's family spoke during the sentencing, including his stepmother, Eileen Hincka, who asked for the maximum sentencing for Bredernitz.

“If not for the actions of other people, Dustyn would have been left on the side of the highway to die like a piece of garbage,” Hincka said.

“He will forever be 19.”

Hincka mentioned Frolka’s daughter, and noted how her family is mourning the loss of a son, a brother and a father.

"Mr. Bredernitz took away a little girl’s daddy,” she said. “She did not have him with her when she took her first steps, said her first words, celebrated her first birthday."

Heim is the only defendant left to be sentenced, as Grigg pleaded guilty to manslaughter and unarmed robbery earlier this year and was sentenced to six to 15 years in May.

Heim also recently pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and will serve between 32 1/2 and 60 years in prison. He is scheduled to be sentenced Nov. 24. 

Share and discuss “Teen sentenced to minimum of 25 years for murder of MSU sophomore” on social media.