Student viewers react to gubernatorial debate

After months of prodding and pressuring, Democratic gubernatorial nominee Mark Schauer got his debate with Michigan Governor Rick Snyder.

In an auditorium at Wayne State University, the two candidates met for a gubernatorial debate Sunday evening, focusing mainly on tax policy and education funding.

In the basement of Case Hall, meaning, a debate viewing event was organized by Amy Wolanin, who is also the director of operations for Students for Snyder. She said despite her organization’s political affiliation, she designed this event to be bi-partisan. Wolanin, a resident assistant for South Case Hall, said she actually arranged the event as a floor event and wanted everyone to be welcome. She said considering Case Hall is mostly James Madison College students busy with midterms, she was pleased with the turnout.

Political Theory and Consitutional Democracy sophomore Jeff Litten said he supports Snyder because he believes Snyder has better ideas than his opponent, Schauer.

An occasional visitor to MSU College Republicans meetings, Litten said the issues he cares most about when choosing a candidate are “the unemployment rate, education funding, and clean energy...I am a supporter of nuclear energy.”

For that reason, Litten said he is disappointed clean energy and the environment are not topics on discussion during this election cycle.

“I look at each candidate and see what they stand for, and that is how I vote. I do not vote for only one party,” Litten said.

He said he would be upset if Snyder lost, “but I would hope that the state would stay on the track that it is on and not return to the lost decade.”

Litten said he would be worried if Schauer won because “I have not heard where he plans on getting th emoney from to support some of the plans he has.”

Social Relations and Policy Junior Evan Stivers also attended the debate viewing party, although his perspective differs from Litten’s. He said while he chooses who to vote for based on policy, he tends to lean Democrat.

“I favor Schauer but not because he’s a Democrat,” Stivers said. He said he favors Schauer because of his policies.

“I think politics should help the masses instead of the select few and I think Schauer is the guy to put more money into education and help more people than Snyder,” he said.

Stivers said he already voted using an absentee ballot but the debate did not change his mind anyway.

“I felt that they were just reiterating their talking points,” Stivers said.

Litten also shared that opinion. Both felt that those who had already made up their mind would not be swayed by the debate.

Share and discuss “Student viewers react to gubernatorial debate” on social media.