Sunday, May 12, 2024

Back from injury, senior forward Matt Berry sees strong offensive start for MSU hockey

<p>Senior forward Matt Berry collides with Massachusetts goalie Henry Dill on Oct. 18, 2014, at Munn Ice Arena. The Minutemen defeated the Spartans, 4-3. Aerika Williams/The State News</p>

Senior forward Matt Berry collides with Massachusetts goalie Henry Dill on Oct. 18, 2014, at Munn Ice Arena. The Minutemen defeated the Spartans, 4-3. Aerika Williams/The State News

The weekend featured some ups and downs for the hockey team, but senior forward Matt Berrymtg was a consistent bright spot.

The Spartans scored eight goals over the weekendmtg and Berry was directly involved in six of themmtg, scoring four and assisting on two others.mtg

“Puck’s going in for him, that’s for sure,” head coach Tom Anastosmtg said. “That should be a good confidence boost.”mtg

MSU (1-1 overall)mtg split its opening regular season weekend series with Massachusetts at Munn Ice Arena, defeating the Minutemen 5-3 on Friday before falling on Saturday on a last-second goal, 4-3mtg.

Berry was the linchpin behind the Spartans victory on Friday night, tallying two goals and one assist.mtg

“It felt good for us to put some goals on the board tonight,” Berry said after the game on Friday. “We’ve been working really hard this summer.”

The chance to work on his craft during the summer was something Berry missed last year after undergoing offseason surgery and missing 13 games.

“I feel great right now,” he said before later admitting he was “a little sore.”

Berry is part of a first line, which showed a lot of promise over the weekend.

The first line comprised of junior forward and team captain Michael Ferrantino, sophomore Mackenzie MacEachern and Berry. They combined for six goals and eight assists in the first two games.mtg

“It helps having them out there,” Berry said. “We feed off each other ... They’re both good skaters, they work really hard.”

A goal by Massachusetts freshman forward Patrick Leemtg on Saturday night with 9.9 seconds remaining in the third period sunk the Spartans’ hopes of starting the season with a 2-0 record.mtg

Despite losing, Berry turned in another impressive performance. The Canton, Mich. native once again dished out an assist and scored two goals of his own.mtg

Even though he personally had a good game, Berry was more concerned with the outcome of the game.

“We have to find a way to get the job done,” the senior said after Saturday’s tough loss. “We can’t give up two in the end and lose that game.”mtg

Berry and his team will have a chance to get back in the win column next Friday on the road against Boston (1-0 overall).mtg

Share and discuss “Back from injury, senior forward Matt Berry sees strong offensive start for MSU hockey” on social media.