National College Health Assessment Survey shows decrease in risky behavior among students

Spartans are making better decisions.

According to data from the National College Health Assessment Survey, MSU students’ high-risk behaviors are decreasing.

1,231 undergraduate and graduate students participated in the assessment that was administered last spring.

The survey asked the students questions related to behaviors affecting their health, such as sexual behaviors, use of tobacco and alcohol, disease prevention and exercise habits.

In comparison to other years, the study shows a decrease in students’ engagement in health-compromising activities.

Weight

From 2012: Down 2.6 percent

• 30.8 percent of the respondents claimed to be overweight, down slightly from the 33.4 percent of 2012 respondents.
  • The report states that students with high GPAs where were less likely to be overweight or obese.
  • Males are more likely to be overweight than females — 37.8 percent vs. 24.5 percent

Substance Use

From 2012: Cigarette consumption decreased 3.3 percent, marijuana consumption increased 1.2 percent

• Students reported to smoke fewer cigarettes. However, alcohol consumption is still normal among students.
  • 69.2 percent of the respondents said they drank alcohol, virtually the same as in 2012.
  • The use of marijuana is increasing among MSU students, 36.6 percent of respondents said they have smoked marijuana.
  • Marijuana consumption increased 1.2 percent

Drinking and Driving

From 2012: Decreased 2.7 percent

• According to the report, 19.2 percent of the respondents said they drove after drinking at least some alcohol.
  • 1.7 percent of respondents who drink and drive reported driving after having more than five drinks. It decreased .4 percent since 2012.

Sexual Behavior

From 2012: Increased 3.1 percent

• 29.0 percent of the students said they didn’t have a sexual partner during the last year. In 2012. 25.9 percent of the students claimed the same.
  • 44.4 percent of the respondents engaged in a sexual activity with one partner during the last year.
  • 10.0 percent of the students said they had four or more sexual partners during the last year. An increase of .2 percent since 2012.

Share and discuss “National College Health Assessment Survey shows decrease in risky behavior among students” on social media.