MSU students nominated for several prestigious scholarships

Five MSU Honors College students have been nominated for several scholarship awards. The scholarships give them the option to pursue graduate studies in the United Kingdom or Ireland.

The scholarships include the Marshall scholarship, the Mitchell Scholarship and the Rhodes Scholarship.

The students nominated for the Marshall Scholarship are environmental geoscience and interdisciplinary studies in social science senior Kevin Adams, chemical engineering senior Mario Gutierrez, international relations, comparative culture and politics, and Russian senior Paul Rose and biochemistry and molecular biology/biotechnology senior Irina Pushel, who is also the lone nominee for the Mitchell Scholarship.

The Rhodes Scholarship nominees are Gutierrez and electrical engineering senior David Zoltowski.

The Marshall Scholarship is a postgraduate award named after George Marshall, who served as the Secretary of State during World War II. The award serves as a living gift to the US from the UK as a recognition of US's post-World War II Recovery Plan, often referred to as the Marshall Plan. Up to forty scholars each year are awarded with the award which grants recipients two fully funded years of study at any university in the UK.

The Mitchell Scholarship was named in honor of former US Senator George Mitchell, who worked with the Northern Ireland peace process. It is a nationally competitive award and is sponsored by the US-Ireland Alliance and selects applicants based on academics, leadership, and commitment to the community and public service. The award, which is given to twelve Americans annually, funds one year of graduate study in Ireland, where a master's degree can be completed in one year. The award includes tuition, housing, airfare, a cash stipend and other benefits.

The Rhodes Scholarship is named after Cecil John Rhodes and grants students fully funded education at the University of Oxford for two years (although a third year can be considered). Established in 1902, it was one of the first large-scale international scholarships. The award grants recipients a cash stipend and housing in the Rhodes house, a 20th century mansion.

MSU has produced 16 Marshall Scholars, 16 Rhodes Scholars and one Mitchell Scholar. These awards are considered some of the most prestigious in the world.

Share and discuss “MSU students nominated for several prestigious scholarships” on social media.