MSU hockey loses tough game at home against UMASS, 4-3

In a back-and-forth game, it was the opposing team that managed strike last and escape with a victory over MSU on Saturday night. 

Massachusetts freshman forward Patrick Lee scored the game-winner with 9.9 seconds remaining in the third period to help UMASS (1-1 overall ) defeat the Spartans (1-1 overall) 4-3 at Munn Ice Arena. 

Penalties hurt the Spartans in the final frame — MSU had four penalties in the last 20 minutes, equating to 19 minutes of lost action.

"I thought we got what we deserved," head coach Tom Anastos said. "I didn't think we were ready to start the game. I thought we took some bad penalties ... and that made it tough. We got ourselves out of a hole and put ourselves in a decent position, only to dig ourselves in a hole again. So there are opportunities for this team to learn some lessons. Some good, some not some good." 

Senior forward Matt Berry led the Spartans with two goals, with junior forward Michael Ferrantino chipping in the third goal. Sophomore forward Steven Iacobellis scored two goals for UMASS. 

Iacobellis scored the first goal of the game for UMASS 15:10 minutes into the first period. The two teams swapped goals through the first and second periods, with Berry knotting the score at 2-2 with 8:44 on the clock in the second.

The goal was an odd one for Berry, as the puck took a weird bounce before landing in the left corner. 

"After you get a lucky bounce, you kinda think you're feeling it tonight, getting lucky bounces," Berry said. "So it's just trying to get more pucks on net, which we didn't do a good job of tonight."

Anastos said he was disappointed with MSU's energy early in the game, though he noted the energy improved towards the end. 

"I didn't like that for the first 20 minutes, we were sluggish," he said. "And there should be no reason for us to be sluggish. Not where we are, not when we're at home. So that disappointed me. I thought we adjusted, I thought we had a good second period." 

Ferrantino scored within the first minute of the third period for MSU to give the Spartans a 3-2 lead. But that was the last time MSU scored for the game. Iacobellis and Lee converted the final two goals of the night, handing the Spartans a tough loss following a promising season-opening victory on Friday night. 

"This one stings, definitely stings," Ferrantino said. We wanted to get the sweep at home for our friends too. It's tough. We'll battle back"

The Spartans will return to action on Friday night on the road against Boston University. 

"You take the positives. For the majority of the weekend we played some pretty good hockey," Ferrantino said. "Our (defense) is always pretty good, for the most part. There's some positives, we'll have to take a second look at it to make sure. I think the moral of the story is there's 60 minutes and you've gotta be ready."

Share and discuss “MSU hockey loses tough game at home against UMASS, 4-3” on social media.