Men's soccer ties Notre Dame, 1-1

The No. 12 men's soccer team (9-3-4 overall, 3-1-2 Big Ten) tied  No. 5 Notre Dame (9-4-3 overall, 5-1-1 ACC) 1-1 in a key game for both teams on Wednesday night.

The first half followed a similar theme for MSU soccer games. It was a mostly defensive battle, ending with score of 0-0 through the first 45 minutes. 

However, Notre Dame did get a few quality chances firing off seven first half shots forcing MSU junior goalkeeper Zach Bennett to make five first half saves. MSU only got off two shots in the half but forced Notre Dame graduate student Patrick Wall to make two saves.

As the second half begun the game, wouldn't remain scoreless for long, after Notre Dame junior midfielder Evan Panken fired off a shot it was rebounded going right back to Panken, allowing him to fire off another one. Panken wouldn't be denied on the second shot after the rebound and sent one through the back of the MSU ne,t putting the Fighting Irish up 1-0 at the 55:29 mark.

MSU soon showed some grit. Senior forward Tim Kreutz, after sitting out most of the game, was subbed in to create some offense, and he did just that. After a corner kick by junior midfielder Jason Stacy bounced around a bit, it found its way to Kreutz allowing him to send one through the net tying the game 1-1 at the 79:22 mark. Kreutz third goal of the season came at the perfect time for a Spartan team looking to equalize. 

Neither team would find the back of the net in the remaining time of regulation, needing more than 90 to decide this matchup. 

MSU had a much better offensive half compared to the the teams first half performance, finishing the second half with nine shots and three corner kicks compared to seven shots and three corner kicks by Notre Dame. In total, MSU had 11 shots and six corner kicks compared to 14 shots and ten corner kicks by the Fighting Irish.

Neither team could break the tie in overtime, resulting in a 1-1 tie. The Spartans had far more opportunities in overtime, outshooting the Fighting Irish 5-1 in the two ten-minute periods. In total, MSU had 16 shots compared to 15 by Notre Dame.

The Spartans will rest for a few days before the team returns home to play a key Big Ten matchup against the Michigan Wolverines (5-7-3 overall, 2-2-2 Big Ten) on Sunday.

Share and discuss “Men's soccer ties Notre Dame, 1-1” on social media.