MSU receives $7 million in grants for international education

Awarded with federal grants totaling up to $7 million, MSU will be able to improve five area study centers to advance their international education.

Over the course of a four-year cycle from 2014 to 2018, these grants are awarded by the U.S. Department of Educations under Title VI of the Higher Education Act.

“It’s a competitive process, an extensive process,” International Studies and Programs Director of Communications Rachel Warner said. “There’s a lot of work that goes into it, but it’s ultimately worth it to get a quality education for international students here on campus.”

However, Warner said, this grant money isn’t just important for international students, but all staff and students on campus.

The Center of Language in the College of Arts and Letters received a U.S. Education Title VI Language Resource Center award, which was one of the 16 awarded nationwide. It develops materials for foreign language teaching and learning, conducts research on the teaching and learning of foreign languages and provides professional development opportunities for educators in the field.

In addition, the International Business Center in the Eil Broad College of Business received a Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER) award. MSU is one of only 17 universities to be designated a CIBER university in this funding cycle.

Awards were earned by other area studies, including the African Studies Center, the Asian Studies Center and the Center for Advanced Study of International Development in the College of Social Science and the Center for Gender in a Global Context.

“We received a little over $6 million in the last four-year cycle, so we had an increase this cycle,” Warner said. “I think it reflects and reaffirms the strength of MSU as an elite group for international education.”

Share and discuss “MSU receives $7 million in grants for international education” on social media.