Field hockey seeks consistency with U-M looming on Friday

<p>Senior forward Abby Barker fights for the ball against Iowa midfielder Melissa Progar on Oct. 17, 2014, at Ralph Young Field. The Spartans defeated the Hawkeyes, 2-0. Aerika Williams/The State News</p>

Senior forward Abby Barker fights for the ball against Iowa midfielder Melissa Progar on Oct. 17, 2014, at Ralph Young Field. The Spartans defeated the Hawkeyes, 2-0. Aerika Williams/The State News

It was a weekend of ups and downs for MSU field hockey. On Friday, the Spartans shut out No. 18 Iowa in a 2-0 victory in one of their best complete performances of the year. Coming back on Sunday against No. 11 Northwestern however, MSU had no answer for the Wildcats’ offense and were defeated 5-2.

“Our game plan was team defense, and we’d been working on it all week in practice,” senior forward Abby Barker said of the Iowa game. “We executed the game plan throughout the whole game, so that definitely led to our success.”

Unable to carry the execution over to Sunday, Barker pointed to a slow start for the Spartans, something that has plagued a number of their games this year.

“We kind of sat back from the first whistle,” Barker said. “We didn’t play. We didn’t set the tone. We let them set the tone ... but we hung in there. We ended up scoring two goals pretty quickly, so I think that shows we could’ve been in it from the start.

Even in MSU’s losses this year, there have always been moments or stretches of great play from the Spartans. Be it the season opener against Duke , the loss to Maryland at home , or Sunday’s loss against NU , MSU has showed enough in each game to know they have the ability to go toe to toe with great teams.

“I thought the girl’s came out in the second half and showed a lot of character coming back and fighting back,” assistant coach Molly Pelowski said.

Pelowski was called upon to be the interim head coach on Sunday and in practices this week while head coach Helen Knull is gone until Friday. While Pelowski has been with MSU since 2008, she has enjoyed holding the reigns for a brief stint, but also realizes how much Knull does for this program on a daily basis.

“It’s different,” Pelowski explained. “A lot more responsibility in things related to off the field. I have a greater appreciation for what Helen does every day ... It’s fun. Despite the loss, I enjoyed coaching Sunday.”

Knull will be back on the sidelines for MSU on Friday in Ann Arbor , as Rivalry Week is in full effect. The return of Knull in a matchup against an in-state rival should provide enough fuel to fire up the Spartans. But with the Big Ten Tournament right around the corner, MSU knows they have to play their best no matter who the opponent is.

“It’s kind of a now or never,” senior back Alli Helwig . “Unfortunately, we allowed that to happen by not getting a couple of the wins that we needed to get.”

Share and discuss “Field hockey seeks consistency with U-M looming on Friday” on social media.