Contract estimated MSU would charge $228,335 for filming

<p>Members of the Batman v Superman crew prepare for filming Oct. 15, 2014, at the Broad Art Museum. Streets and sidewalks have been blocked off with high security around the museum's premises. Raymond Williams/The State News</p>

Members of the Batman v Superman crew prepare for filming Oct. 15, 2014, at the Broad Art Museum. Streets and sidewalks have been blocked off with high security around the museum's premises. Raymond Williams/The State News

Photo by Raymond Williams | The State News

Want the Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum all to yourself for a day? Apparently it'll cost you about $3,000.

MSU and Crown City Pictures, a California-based film production company, mutually agreed upon a week-long lease of the museum, according to a Freedom of Information Act request obtained by the Lansing State Journal.

The agreement included a $1,500 per day fee for rental of the Broad paid by the company to MSU for the 23 days of construction during which the museum remained open, which according to the contract began on Sept. 22. The cost was increased to $3,000 for each of the six days the Broad was closed to the public.

In addition to the cost for rental of the museum, the university also charged almost $70,000 for the removal and reinstallation of the museum’s art. MSU received $2,150 for one “load-in day,” presumably last Tuesday, and $4,300 for each of the three days of filming. Filming is believed to have taken place from Wednesday evening through early Saturday morning.

MSU also charged $19 for each hour worked by the “green coat” event staff and $61 per hour worked by each MSU police officer.

The contract estimated the total cost of the rental would come to $228,335 from the rental, though that’s not a finalized number.

But money isn’t the only thing that the university is walking away with.

Also included in the agreement is a sort of education clause that required the production company to provide at least one seminar on “subject matter related to general film production taking place at the (Broad) to students of (MSU) at a time and place to be mutually agreed upon.”

The Lansing State Journal previously reported that the MSU Department of Theatre was in the works of “arranging a session for students with a high-level production person” last week, though it is not confirmed that actually took place.

The contract also requires the film company to acknowledge the university in the film’s final credits.

“Michigan State University and the Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum will receive a ‘Special Thanks’ credit at the end of the film,” according to the agreement.

Share and discuss “Contract estimated MSU would charge $228,335 for filming” on social media.