New macaron bakery opens on E. Grand River Avenue

<p>Packaging senior Marlaina Marshall, right, and elementary education and child development junior Lillian Marshall purchase macarons from owner Kelly Toland, left, on Sept. 3, 2014, at Le Bon Macaron, 1133 East Grand River Avenue, in East Lansing. Aerika Williams/The State News</p>

Packaging senior Marlaina Marshall, right, and elementary education and child development junior Lillian Marshall purchase macarons from owner Kelly Toland, left, on Sept. 3, 2014, at Le Bon Macaron, 1133 East Grand River Avenue, in East Lansing. Aerika Williams/The State News

When traveling down Grand River Avenue, the space between Bell’s Pizza and Tasty Twist may go overlooked.

But stop to give it a second look and you’ll discover Le Bon Macaron, a shop at 1133 East Grand River Ave. that specializes in the small French pastry.

Inside the quaint shop, rows of colorful macarons in all flavors, from violet to caramel, are nestled in a display case at the entrance.

Although Le Bon Macaron, which translates to “the good pastry,” has not held its official grand opening, the shop opened for business Aug. 29.

Owner Kelly Toland also owned the bakery “A Piece O’ Cake” on Northwind Drive in East Lansing for seven years.

Toland is familiar with the area, but said she is excited to be located closer to campus. The shop is open, but Toland said she is planning a grand opening event later this month.

Toland said to her surprise many customers have been international students and she was not anticipating students in general to bring in a lot of business. But since the move, the shop has been busy.

French senior Erin Houghton studied abroad in France during the summer and said the new bakery will serve as a little piece of France in East Lansing.

“I’m excited that it’s open because I don’t know of many places around here that sell macarons,” Houghton said.

Houghton said she and her friends from the study abroad trip may have a reunion and visit the shop.

Kinesiology freshman Elaina Coscarella said she was excited to find the macaron shop because she has tried the pastry before and fell in love.

“I definitely think (Le Bon Macaron) is going to contribute to my freshman 15, that’s for sure,” Coscarella said.

Coscarella added that she thinks the bakery will add more to the culture of East Lansing, especially since students at MSU come from such diverse backgrounds.

“I think it’s really nice that there’s another culture on MSU’s campus that can contribute,” Coscarella said.

Share and discuss “New macaron bakery opens on E. Grand River Avenue” on social media.