Volunteers come out to clean up from Homecoming revelry

<p>Social relations and policy junior Athena Antonis, left, and nutritional sciences junior Kierstin Sanch help the Community Relations Coalition clean up the residential areas of East Lansing on Sept. 28, 2014, by East Lansing City Hall on Park Lane. Raymond Williams/The State News</p>

Social relations and policy junior Athena Antonis, left, and nutritional sciences junior Kierstin Sanch help the Community Relations Coalition clean up the residential areas of East Lansing on Sept. 28, 2014, by East Lansing City Hall on Park Lane. Raymond Williams/The State News

If you wake up and see your sidewalk clean after the hard-partying weekend, you should thank a Community Relations Coalition intern.

On Sunday, members of the Community Relations Coalition, an alliance between East Lansing residents, MSU students and volunteers, started their day cleaning the city’s sidewalks.

Communication junior Christina Briones woke up early on Sunday to start collecting the trash that others left throughout the weekend.

“I think it’s kind of refreshing to see students cleaning instead of workers,” said Briones, who volunteered with other members of Alpha Phi.

Community Relations Coalition Intern Griffin Goble said the residents appreciate the effort of students volunteering their time to beautify the city.

“Usually there is tons and tons of trash down the streets after tailgating,” Goble said.

Goble, a supply chain management junior, is one of the 10 interns who organize events like the cleanup and serve as liaisons between students and permanent residents within the Bailey, Red Cedar and Oakwood neighborhoods.

Goble said participating in the cleanups is a way to help the community and neighbors of MSU.

“It’s really important because these people live here full-time, a lot of them have kids,” Goble said. “Just look down the street and you will see tons and tons of cans ... and instead of blowing around and them having to pick it up on their front yards, we are taking the initiative to pick it up for them.”

The past week was all about Homecoming. Students, parents and alumni came together to celebrate MSU and to watch the football team win over the University of Wyoming Cowboys.

Although this is the second cleanup that the Community Relations Coalition has done this school year, East Lansing City Manager George Lahanas said Sunday’s cleanup was different.

“I think with Homecoming, we just want to see (East Lansing) look good because a lot of people come,” Lahanas said.

Lahanas said the cleanups help build a community among residents, students and volunteers.

“Part of the point is to get students out, get people out together cleaning the neighborhood because when we do that sort of stuff it’s a community-building activity,” Lahanas said. “People sort of take pride in the community and makes people closer.”

The neighborhood cleanups will continue every Sunday after a home game, Goble said.

As part of their duties, Community Relations Coalition interns have to organize cleanup and other activities.

“To see actual students who are willing to help out on campus and then you have all these people that they put this together and they are students too, and they are here to help organize this ... it shows a lot of dedication on their end,” Briones said.

Share and discuss “Volunteers come out to clean up from Homecoming revelry” on social media.