Land and Peters should debate at MSU, engage young voters

We hold the power of our democracy on a sheet of paper. We make our choices and then drop them into a ballot box. And we are affected, knowingly or not, by the results.

Across campus, students are either on the cusp of political engagement, or they’ve entered the realm within the last few years.

With voting privileges, no matter how recently issued, students have the ability to sway the race for Michigan’s U.S. Senate seat that will be open for the first time in two decades once Democratic Sen. Carl Levin retires after the current term.

It is one of the hotly contested races that will be decided in the Nov. 4 general election. At this point, analysts are still labeling it a toss-up between Terri Lynn Land, a Republican and who served two terms as Michigan Secretary of State, and Democratic U.S. Rep. Gary Peters.

Efforts by local media organizations to arrange a public debate between the candidates have been stifled. In MSU and ASMSU’s attempts to hold an on-campus debate, Land has been the roadblock.

Land’s campaign website highlights community involvement as a tenet of her public service.

“Terri has always taken her commitment to the community seriously and believes that her call to service goes beyond the halls of the capitol. Terri remains involved in organizations at the local, regional, and state levels,” it says.

Land has said she is open to public political discourse and answering voter questions. But as members of the MSU community and her constituency ask her to debate Peters on the state and national issues, she’s silent.

Land should be upholding her self-proclaimed principles, and embracing the young voters at MSU are who are a significant emerging demographic. In the 2008 presidential election, the turnout of young voters reached a notable high — 51% of Americans ages 18 to 29 voted.

Undoubtedly, votes cast by individuals under 30 could have a bearing on her success. Although some outlets assert that constituency may be less Democratic-leaning in 2014 than in 2010 and 2012, Democrats won a majority of young adults’ votes in recent national elections.

Young people are less likely to participate in midterm elections, but now is the time when their political personalities are supple. Politicians need to engage them.

Nevertheless, the potential influence contained within the young adult demographic that could benefit either candidate is merely an aside. Political debates are a fundamental part of the electoral process.

Some view debates as just another chance for each candidate to sound off on their comprehensive plans and differentiate themselves from with mud-slinging that is slightly more gracious than attack ads. But with candidates face-to-face, we can compare the proposals and abilities each candidates offers, and get a better idea of whether we want them to hold the public office at stake.

The proposed debate on campus is not about party politics. It’s about politics, period.

Land and Peters, we need to hear from you. Tell us who you are. Tell us how you will stand for us.

Reluctance or inability from Land, Peters or any other politician to make room in their schedule for a political debate is a sign of the divide between candidates and the citizens they intend to represent.

Without involvement they might find that young voters sway toward an opposing political platform — or worse, leave their ballots out of the box altogether.

Share and discuss “Land and Peters should debate at MSU, engage young voters” on social media.