East Lansing to accept household items through curbside recycling program

Residents of East Lansing will have the opportunity to recycle their clothing at the curb by the end of October.

East Lansing’s Environmental Services Administrator Catherine DeShambo said that Simple Recycling, a company dedicated to recycling household appliances and clothing, would start operating in East Lansing soon.

DeShambo said this new program would give more options to residents when discarding their recyclable materials.

“This is an opportunity to allow our residents a very easy and simple way to recycle simple household goods such as clothing, textile, bedding and small appliances,” DeShambo said.

DeShambo still recognized the option of donating the textiles to a local charity.

“(East Lansing residents) certainly are welcome to continue to donate those items to a local Goodwill or the Salvation Army,” DeShambo said. “But this is yet another option.”

The items collected by Simple Recycle are later sold to partner thrift stores around the U.S.

The program will run along with the city’s curbside recycling program.

“(We want) reuse or recycling and make it very easy for our residents to do that right along with their curbside residential recycling,” DeShambo said.

Although the program has not started in the city yet, Scott Brady’s long-term project will be trying to involve MSU in the program.

“I will really like to get the university involved with all the students who are residents of East Lansing,” Brady said. “That will be my next phase to start working directly with the college.”

The program will be free for residents. The city will not pay for the program either.

Packaging freshman Jake Baird said that he would be willing to participate in the program if it will help others.

“Sounds good, as long as it helps someone,” Baird said.

Cardboard is one of the materials that are easy to recycle because of the use of it.

However, the city of East Lansing curbside recycling program does not collect cardboard or boxboard on their weekly trips.

Cardboard and boxboard are not recycled in the curbside recycling program because of the volume of the materials recycled and the size of the vehicles used to transport them, DeShambo said.

“We are in the process of purchasing new recycling trucks that will be automated and will have greater volume capacity,” DeShambo said.

Share and discuss “East Lansing to accept household items through curbside recycling program” on social media.