Women's golf heading to Georgia for tournament

The No. 20 MSU women's golf team will head to the 42nd annual Liz Murphey Collegiate Classic from Friday to Sunday at the University of Georgia Gold Course in Athens, Ga.

The Spartans are returning to the site of the 2013 NCAA Championships, where they placed a school-record ninth.

Divided into three rounds and days, the tournament will be scored in a unique format. The first round on Friday will be a traditional stroke play loop — those results will be used to make a pair of match play brackets for the rest of the rounds, according to msuspartans.com.

The Spartans are one of six teams competing that are listed in the Golfstat Top 25.  Among those are top-ranked USC — the defending national champion —and No. 4 Arkansas.

MSU moved up two ranking spots since tying for 10th place last weekend at the Bryan National Collegiate with a total score of 916. Senior Allyssa Ferrell led the Spartans, placing ninth with a 7-over-par 223.

Last weekend's invitational included 18 teams — eight of them in the Top 25.

Freshman Kelly Grassel, junior Trisha Witherby and seniors Chirstine Meier and Liz Nagel will be in the starting lineup for the Spartans this weekend. 

Share and discuss “Women's golf heading to Georgia for tournament ” on social media.