Thousands gather at Breslin to remember life of "Princess Lacey"

<p>Senior center Adreian Payne stands with the team while watching a video of Lacey Holsworth's relationship with the basketball team at a memorial service April 17, 2014, at Breslin Center. The memorial service, open to the public, featured a musical performance by her piano teacher, a dance performance by her dance teacher, and video slideshows of her life. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Senior center Adreian Payne stands with the team while watching a video of Lacey Holsworth's relationship with the basketball team at a memorial service April 17, 2014, at Breslin Center. The memorial service, open to the public, featured a musical performance by her piano teacher, a dance performance by her dance teacher, and video slideshows of her life. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

The lights went up in Breslin Center on Thursday night as the family of Lacey Holsworth walked out with former senior center Adreian Payne — Lacey’s "big brother" — leading the way.

Thousands flocked to the basketball stadium to celebrate the life of the little girl fans grew to know as "Princess Lacey," the eight-year-old who was still cheering in the stands just days before she succumbed a rare form of childhood cancer. Her story inspired an extraordinary display of unity at the Rock last week that resonated in headlines across the country.

The emotional commemoration included words from MSU guard Travis Trice, poems read in her honor, dancing and reflection from loved ones.

Lacey’s mother, Heather Holsworth described her daughter as one thing above all others: a princess.

"She was shy yet outgoing," she said. "A tomboy with a tutu."

The celebration ended with a video of the life of Lacey that included home video shots of her battle.

Share and discuss “Thousands gather at Breslin to remember life of "Princess Lacey"” on social media.