Monday, May 6, 2024

Architecture firms chosen to redevelop Spartan Village

Spartan Village is up for redevelopment and is in the Board of Trustees hands.

MSU announced Monday that SHW Group and Encore Architects would be the architectural firms teaming up for the redevelopment project of Spartan Village.

"(The apartments) are nearing the end of their useful life," Residential and Hospitality Services Kat Cooper said.

In October 2013, the Board of Trustees voted on the redevelopment of the current apartments. 

Cooper said the ultimate decision for the fate of the current Spartan Village buildings would be up to the Board of Trustees, as well as the project as a whole.

Engineering News-Record ranked SHW Group as one of the top five firms in the higher education market, according to the university press release. 

SHW also worked on the renovations of Bailey, Rather, Armstrong and Bryan Halls in the Brody Neighborhood.

Chris Mackey, a partner of SHW Group, said the firm will be working closely with MSU to make sure its design and structure create a comfortable living space for residents and fits in with the current MSU aesthetic. 

Mackey said there would be a lot of changes to ensure energy efficiency. 

"Some (changes would be) better insulation, high performing insulating windows, higher efficiency heating systems, and building materials that do not off-gas," he said. 

There are currently three possible locations for the redevelopment to occur, all on Harrison Road, Cooper said. 

The options are at the current Spartan Village location, the former MSU Police site or the site where the Cherry Lane and Faculty Bricks Apartments once stood.  

If the redevelopment were to occur at the current Spartan Village site, residents would be able to remain in their homes and the redevelopment would take place on the vast 80 acres of land available Cooper said. 

There are a lot of decisions still up in the air, but the firms and MSU housing departments have agreed to host focus groups and base their ideas for the redevelopment on student input, Cooper said.

In a previous State News report, Residence Education and Housing Services Senior Associate Director Ray Gasser said the cost of renovating the old buildings outweighed the cost of constructing new ones so the decision was expected.

Cooper said that MSU hasn't decided what to do with the current buildings once the construction is finished on the redevelopment, but they would be no longer used for student residences. 

Share and discuss “Architecture firms chosen to redevelop Spartan Village ” on social media.