Theatre students receive threats

University officials and police are investigating harassment claims within the MSU Department of Theatre, according to department chair Kirk Domer.

Domer said a few students have been receiving threatening messages on white boards inside the building.

“This was more of a scare technique based on casting,” he said.

Domer said the messages on the board had to do with who got parts and who did not in upcoming performances.

The department of theatre is located next to the Auditorium, an area with a lot of foot traffic, Domer said. He said music, theatre and other various majors use the building.

“I can’t tell where it is coming from,” he said. “There are all kinds of people that come through here.”

Domer said he involved the police to stop the problem before it became more serious.

He said that although it may not seem like a big deal, the department takes the matter seriously.

“It’s petty but I take it very seriously.”

Since involving the police, Domer said the messages have stopped. MSU police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor could not confirm any details about an investigation.

The department has been casting for upcoming shows, which Domer said is a stressful time for performers.

“I think it was meant to be playful during a time when it shouldn’t be playful,” he said. “I really just wanted to put a stop to it.”

Share and discuss “Theatre students receive threats” on social media.